[SOLVED] Computer won't beep or post unless I remove RAM

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
So I turned off my computer normally one night like I always do and wake up the next morning to absolutely no post. I've tried the following:

• Reset CMOS memory via replacing battery and shorting it with the jumper
  • Removed RAM and swapping modules/trying it out in different slots
  • Breadbooting
  • Replacing PSU with a confirmed working one
  • Using a different screen and different cable
  • Reapplied thermal paste and cleaned out my CPU, RAM slots and everything fully.

Currently I'm booting it with the bare minimum hardware. It never beeps, but it does beep when I remove all RAM modules to indicate there's no RAM. I've tried everything, i have no idea what to work on anymore.

Solution
It honestly sounds like the board at this point, since I'm guessing you tried swapping the ram modules already. If it is the board you could get one off of ebay for like $40-50. This one is the same model it looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-DH55...eDelivery!55057!US!-1&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true

Comes with a free return.

But I would maybe consider using this as an opportunity to upgrade. You probably could get a ryzen 3 2200g with the motherboard and 8 gigs of ram for under $200. But it's up to you.

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
Could be simply a drained cr2032 coin battery, so buy a new one. If not and the board died out of warranty you can get it reconditioned cheaper than new.
I just bought a new coin battery and that didn't fix it either. tried with and without my video card.

Is there anything else I can try before getting a new motherboard/getting the current one replaced?

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
What parts do you have?

Intel i5 650 @3.20 GHz
Intel DH55TC Board
2 GB RAM modules x2
Corsair VS450(W) PSU
Nvidia GTX 550 Ti (removed at the moment)

HDDs are also not connected.

I'd like to try any other solutions before straight up going for replacing the board.

If not, can you recommend a board which is similar or cheaper and can handle that much?

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
It honestly sounds like the board at this point, since I'm guessing you tried swapping the ram modules already. If it is the board you could get one off of ebay for like $40-50. This one is the same model it looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-DH55...eDelivery!55057!US!-1&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true

Comes with a free return.

But I would maybe consider using this as an opportunity to upgrade. You probably could get a ryzen 3 2200g with the motherboard and 8 gigs of ram for under $200. But it's up to you.

Solution