Question Computer won't boot after attempting to add M.2 SSD

dragmosh

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Hey all, as it says in the question, my computer won't boot after trying to install a new M.2 SSD. Details and system specs below:

This system had been working for about 2 and a half years before I tried to add the SSD. While adding the SSD, I removed the wireless adapter (in a PCIE port) and the graphics card in order to be able to better reach the M.2 slot. I added in the M.2 SSD, including the screw to hold it up, and put back in the wireless adapter and graphics card. After plugging everything back in, I turned it on, and everything turned on fine but I didn't get any signal on my monitor. I then tried removing the M.2 SSD to see if things would go back to normal (including removing the graphics card and wireless adapter and putting them back in), plugged everything back in, and tried to turn it back on but nothing turned on (whereas before all the mobo lights and fans turned on). The only thing I get is the standby power light turning on when I plug in

I've since attempted to breadboard the system, leaving only the PSU, motherboard, processor and ram installed, and tried to turn it on by touching the power switch pins with 2 different screwdrivers and 2 different paperclips, but I'm still only getting the standby power light. I'm assuming the rest of the motherboard lights would turn on to give me an indicator that the system booted if it had.

I also tested the power supply on its own, using a paperclip in the ATX connector and the case fans, and the fans on the PSU and the case did turn on.

At this point, I'm assuming there's likely a problem when the motherboard, but I don't know how to go forward with testing that. What do you guys recommend doing in this situation? Going to a computer repair store for diagnosis, where I'll likely get ripped off somehow, or just buying a new motherboard and hoping for the best?

Thanks in advance!

Parts:

Motherboard: Asus Z170p
CPU: Intel 6700k
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800
Graphics: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Storage1: SSD - Sandisk 240gb
Storage2: HDD - WD Blue 1TB
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case: NZXT S340

TRENDING THREADS