Computer wont boot and is showing a black screen with a blinking underscore

Blackdawn12

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Hey guys any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

I have a self built pc that has been working for two years now and originally had windows 8.1 installed on it. When windows 10 came out I upgraded and have been using it for some time. However last night when it was performing an upgrade it froze during the update and forced me to shut it down. Unfortunately upon restarting the computer after the BIOS splash screen it went to a black screen with a blinking white underscore and won't progress past that. I've unhooked all of my peripherals besides my keyboard. I'm running an intel core i5 4690k Devil's Canyon on a msi Z97 Gaming Mobo with 12Gb of RAM installed and a Sapphire R9 270x graphics card. Immediately I suspected the worst that either my hard drive or sata controller failed but the harddrive shows up in BIOS and I am able to boot windows from my CD drive which means the sata controller is likely fine. The led error codes on the mobo read "AE" for legacy boot event. I proceeded with windows install to see if it could read the drive at all and the drive in its entirety with all of its partitions did show appear and even the old windows system partition seemed to be in tact. I am stumped and this is quite frustrating as there doesn't seem to be any hard critical problem of which to diagnose. I've also checked the boot order and played around with it in the BIOS to no avail. System voltages are normal and BIOS is fully functional. I'm a college student and that computer is the only access I have from my house so any bit of information that might help would be immensely helpful.

Thank you guys and if you need any more information or have questions let me know and I will respond ASAP.

if you were doing a bios update in windows it may have failed. try download the newest bios file for your mb and run the update from inside of the mb bios. bare bones the pc. one ram stick and onboard video and just the keyboard and mouse. see if anything changes. hard drive controller may be going bad. causing the mb sata port to time out.