Computer won't boot from Windows 8.1 bootable USB

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Hello,

My build is: motherboard Gigabyte 965DS3, Xeon 5460 3.4Ghz quad core (with mod to be LGA 775 compatible), 6 gigs of ram and a 120gb SSD and 1 terabyte hard drive.

I've made a bootable USB with windows 8.1 on it which I've tested and it works on my other computer. When I plug it into this computer, and I've tried several USB ports and played with the BIOS settings I can't get it to boot from it. I've attached pictures of my build and the BIOS, any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

oKuXQqV.jpg

G0dbFbZ.jpg

DPOSXcI.jpg

FgZcUvq.jpg

YZVkDHn.jpg

RwpNrvf.jpg

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I have an old system with a Gigabyte board that has the same problem. My BIOS is identical to the one you have. Even though there are options in the BIOS to boot from several types of USB devices, the board is incapable of booting from a flash drive. Ultimately, the only way I could install windows on that system was to temporarily hook up an optical drive.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

That's what I did. Burned the ISO to a disc instead of using the tool to create the bootable USB drive. Then I just booted from the DVD, installed windows, and removed the DVD drive after I was done.

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007

Cool, thanks!

If the BIOS supports USB boot, you could alternately try:

1. Setting USB as the first boot device. (If you didn't already)

2. Or using the BIOS boot menu. Use the key indicated in the BIOS post.

3. Or use PLOP Boot Manager installed on any bootable media, and select the USB drive from the PLOP boot menu.

Boot USB Even If BIOS Doesnt Support : Without ISO/CD/FLOPPY : Plop Boot Manger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7hwaSF5OyM

Plop Boot Manager 5.0 - Download
https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007

Whoa, that's exactly the pickle I'm in and the solution, thanks Chicano!