Computer wont boot/initialize with Graphics card plugged In

Jul 21, 2014
Hey, sort of a newb in the whole side of building a computer so I bought a pre built computer off an ebay seller and then realized that the graphics card wasn't the one I needed (from 2008) so I bought a new graphics card and inserted it into the PCI-E slot and pluged the 6 pin into it and it ran pretty well until I wanted to play games then it would crash and not load up unless I took the graphics card out and used the onboard dvi.

I have checked bios and made sure the power was plugged in properly and I do not know what to do, any help is appreciated.

System:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 4gb
Case: Cooler Master elite 431 plus
PSU: Thermaltake EVO_BLUE 2.0 850w
RAM: 2x 8gb samsung 2r*8 PC3-12800v-11-13-B1
HDD: WD blue 1tb
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz 8-core

Solution

Agreed..

blockhead78

Distinguished
If you haven't tried already, uninstall nvidia drivers, download latest release drivers from nvidia and install with the custom option, then select a clean install.

If that doesn't work, by any chance was the previous gpu AMD? If it was, might need to clean out any leftover AMD GPU drivers

ZeusGamer

Admirable
This is so weird. I've got both 660 and R9 280x in my computer. I use the R9 280x for my regular gaming and the 660 for PhysX. But when I want to use the 660, I just plug the DVI cable on the 660 and it works properly.

Jul 21, 2014

I know, it's really annoying. All I want to do is play games

blockhead78

Distinguished

in that case, if you have access to another pc with sufficient spec it'll be best to try your GPU in another PC

Although it's a new card, that's not a guarantee that it's not faulty.

If it works fine in another PC, then you're more than likely looking at a PSU/mobo issue

If it has the same problem in another PC, then the card will need RMA'd

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Agreed..

Solution
Jul 21, 2014
I was just looking at this post (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364083-33-graphics-card-dead) and I think it may be the ram in the gpu because the artifacts are what came up when the gpu worked (for the 10 minutes that it worked) I don't have another pc with high enough spec to test it on so I think I'll just take it back to the shop I bought it from when I am in town on friday and replace it.
Thanks for all of your help and support blockhead78 and ZeusGamer and I'll let you know how the replaced graphics card goes on the weekend.