Computer wont boot into Windows after installing new RAM

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Good day to everyone

I have a problem with my newly purchased RAM. First when I installed it on my Windows 7 32 bit system it worked just fine, but it gave me problems when I tried to reinstall to Windows 7 64bit. After I reinstalled with the old RAM and put in my new RAM Patriot PSD34G160081H 4GB DDR3 1600MHz ( 2 of them with one in each slot ) my PC would not boot into windows.

My system specs are the following:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2
PSU: PSU-TV HUNTKEY 550 W GREEN POWER (never really heard of this brand)
Old RAM: 2X 4GB Mushkin 1333Mhz
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 650 TI Boost Twin Frozr

I dont have a lot of knowledge on computers but from what I read in my motherboards manual It should support this RAM.

I'd appreciate any form of help that can be given and would like to thank anyone in advance for their time in doing so.

Solution
Memory Manufacturer G.Skill FAQs:
Q:
I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?

A:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

I reinsralled my PC using the old RAM I had. But after the installation I put in the new RAM and with the new RAM installed it would not boot into windows.

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hi, I tried the BIOS update with a bootable usb memory stick but it did not help unfortunately. The ram sticks were packaged individually and when I go into the BIOS for some reason I can not change the voltage anywhere. All the settings are in gray.

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hi, no this is a custom rig. I bought all the parts individually and built them together. Everything works fine exept for when I try to use the newly bought patriot RAM.

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I see the voltage is at a standard of 1.5 to what should I raise the RAM voltage for this RAM? I thought that the mobo would set the voltage accordingly automaticly.

Memory Manufacturer G.Skill FAQs:
Q:
I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?

A:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1 Any time you mix sets/packages of DRAM it can be problematic, even with the same exact model

ysbeer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I tested the RAM on a another buddy's PC and it seems to work perfectly. My solution would be to buy a new motherboard, this one is pretty aged anyway. Thank you all for your time in helping me with this problem.

lewisg743

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Ok i made this a while back for my friend, so here's a quick troubleshoot:

Solution 1

The RAM is not seated properly! This could be the reason that your laptop is not booting up after upgrading with a new memory module. I faced exactly the same problem initially. Following are a few simple steps to insert the new memory module(RAM) properly.

Once you have removed the old RAM and ready to insert or install the new RAM, then the most important thing you need to know is that the angle at which you insert the new RAM. Most of them who are new to installing RAM tend to insert ram in a horizontal / completely flat direction, which is a wrong method; because, in this way, the RAM doesn't get into its place, no matter with how much pressure you push it in.

The correct method is to insert it at an angle of 30-50 degrees. Tilt the RAM slowly at an angle of 30 degrees while inserting the RAM and when properly positioned, it will get in easily and instantly. It is after this that you need to press the RAM down firmly so that it's placed within the retaining clips firmly. Now put back the battery, plug in the power cord and turn on your system. You will now notice the system will boot up successfully without blinking of two lights.

Solution 2

Swapping the RAM from one to another has worked for many. If you have two slots then swap one to another and try rebooting.

Solution 3

Either the slot or the RAM could be faulty. In order to check this, lets start with RAM. In order to know whether the RAM is at fault or not, try inserting the RAM in the other slot, if it works properly from another slot, then the problem is with the first slot. Second possibility is that the RAM itself is damaged. Insert the RAM in the other slot and boot up the system, if you still get the same blinking caps lock and lock button error, then probably the ram is damaged.

Apart from the above fixes, there could be other issues as well depending upon the brand and models of various laptops. However, the solution is the same for all models, provided you are facing aforementioned problem.

(Although its extremely rare for new RAM not to work straight from the anti-static bag these days as they are made within a factory that is about 100,000 times cleaner than an operating room.)

If non of this solves it then we will need to check in the bios for correct configurations of voltage etc.

matthew savory

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Well if your old ram was 1333mhz and worked but the 1600mhz doesnt then your motherboard doesnt except that bus...you cant just get any 240pin ram because its the right gb...google your make of motherboard an download user guide/manual/repair guide 1 of these and find out what the motherboard supports! You can download basically any motherboard manual for free so its plain sailing mate :)...sometimes you have to disconnect everything from motherboard except heatsink fan an power to motherboard ie 4pin and the long 1 with different colours then switch on, it should beep 3 times which means no ram, switch of install ram switch on it should beep once or twice which means accepted, then 1 by 1 instal the other hardware, remember to switch off each time

timels

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I know this is a really old thread but im having the same issue.

Same motherboard GA-H55M-S2H.
New RAM - Corsair Vengence Pro 1600mhz CL9 2x4GB pair. These are paired modules and work perfectly on another Z79 motherboard that I tested on.

As far as I know the H55 chipset should support up to 16GB and 2100mhz.

I Just updated bios to v.F7. Still not booting.

Even tried running them at 1333 but still no luck.

Can anyone help?

Bretterson

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

I think I can!

I had a user at work who's computer had this board in it. Recently, we tried to upgrade it from 2GB to 4 GB sticks. I tried two or three different brands of RAM, all of which met the appropriate specs (or so I thought). No matter what I tried, the BIOS would recognize the memory, but Windows wouldn't boot. Everything was fine as soon as I switched back to the 2GB sticks. I was baffled.

This page on Intel's site states that 4 GB modules have to be double-sided. The page linked to this page containing a list of known compatible RAM options. I didn't really think anything of it, and it's also kind of tricky to know for sure when you're ordering online, as manufacturers occasionally update products and retailers don't always change the photos. I had trouble finding the model from Kingston that's listed, so I contacted them via chat to see how I might find it, or an appropriate replacement. The rep I spoke with pointed out that the model specified used low-density memory chips, which is why you have to use double-sided sticks! The single-sided sticks use high-density memory, which the DH57JG cannot support at the 4 GB capacity (it must not be capable of using memory chips above 256 MB).

Unfortunately, the rep told me that the model I needed is no longer available and would likely be difficult to find from any manufacturer, as no one is really producing low-density memory anymore. I did track something down, which I received yesterday. I installed it and everything worked as expected; Windows started right up and recognized 8 GB of RAM. Success!

I hope this helps!

jaimemacias2319

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

- I know this is kind of old. But would you by chance have the model of RAM you used? I went to the link provided but was unable to determine the best fit. Where were you able to purchaser the RAM from?

Bretterson

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Hey. I believe it was this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00723PDLE

Gordon_14

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

I had this problem 5 months ago , swapping the slot solved it , now its the same problem again and I only have 2 slots I tried swapping but no use