Question Computer Won't Boot Unless I Switch Power Outlets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 24, 2024
Yeah, might as well.

I think the real issue at this point is probably with the CPU - I found someone on Youtube with a similar issue and a similar AMD CPU saying that it turned out to be the memory controller having gone bad. I'm going to look into replacing the power supply and CPU and see if that does anything. If not I might as well just look into finding a new rig when I have the available funds.

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
Okay, so.

I just got myself a UPS - an APC Back-UPS Pro BN 1500VA.

I tested my desktop on the UPS using both battery power and the standard surge protector. Both of them didn't work, which suggests that whatever issue my PC is having isn't the power after all.

More strangely, when both my monitor and my PC were connected to the UPS, the monitor also seemed to break after several tests. The model is an Acer s231HL

https://www.newegg.com/acer-s231hlbid-23/p/N82E16824009255

Now, whenever it's plugged in, the blue "on" light on the power button turns on, but the screen never connects, and I can't turn the monitor "off" - the light remains blue no matter how many times I press the power button to switch it off.

I've tested this with my laptop; this is purely an issue with the monitor now. The monitor does not connect to any device using any HDMI cable I have.

So, unless there's some really, really, really unfortunate timing here, something about my PC somehow broke my monitor too.

Any idea what's going on here?
Your computer didn't necessarily break your monitor. Probably your monitor just died.