Computer won't boot unless I use boot manager

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

US3R5

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
I'm usually fairly competent when it comes to computers and all - but I'm stumped at the moment. The easiest way to explain this is my computer's history.

So I got the computer with 1 hard drive, windows installed etc. After a couple of years and some re-installs of windows, I got a 60gb SSD, which I put games on. Recently, I wanted to install windows on the SSD (I kept the win 7 disc), so I did that - reformatted etc. I had my other hard drive disconnected when I did this. Eventually, I got it to boot properly, but only when I set the hard drive type to IDE and used windows boot manager as my primary (and only) boot option. If I tried to boot straight off the SSD, it would attempt to "repair" windows - and get stuck on a blinking underscore line. When I plugged in my old HD, it wouldn't boot (I had removed windows from it) from my SSD - it seemed to want to repair the old version of windows on my HD. So I reformatted the entire thing on another computer (which booted completely fine with this hard drive in it), copied the files back and got the same result. I have cleared my CMOS twice, with no result. I basically just want to use this drive as storage.

TL;DR - I can't boot my computer unless I set the boot option to "Windows Boot Manager", but if I then plug in my old hard drive (which I used to boot off of), it doesn't work.

Mine is the default way Windows does stuff on a new drive(unformatted). Nothing exotic about it. :) . So a fresh install looks like mine.

Any systems I have that do not use the system reserved to boot the system are ones that had partitions in place already(From other OSes in most cases)

Can you please confirm your boot folder in the root of c : (with hidden files and protected operating systems files showing)