Computer won't detect my other hard drives

TechieViking

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Hi

I've been trying for a while now to find a fix to this problem but it just won't work.
I have a second computer I decided to build to be my entertainment computer, have movies, tv shows, music etc on it, and I used the parts from my old computer.
As for specs what comes to mind right now is the motherboard, a Asus Maximus IV, two Corsair Vengeance 4GB rams and 4 WD 1TB hard drives and one WD 2TB hard drive.
I tried to install Windows 10 64 bit Pro from a USB drive, the first few attempts only 3 hard drives showed up in the installer, one was 900 something GB and then I had one that said it was 7TB and a 2nd that was 4TB, this kind of stood out to me cause not only do I have more than 3 hard drives but also they aren't that big in terms of storage space.
I couldn't install anything because the two huge hard drives refused to be formatted or deleted, I kept getting an error, instead I figured I would install Windows on the 1TB hard drive that was there, I was successful in 'deleting' it so I could install Windows but I got an error saying it wasn't in a GPT format, I searched on google and found a post here in Tom's Hardware about having to disconnect all other hard drives in order to install Windows, I tried that but I got the same error message.
Again a Google search led me to Tom's Hardware, it said I had to press SHIFT+F10 and do a diskpart and convert that hard drive to GPT format, I did that and was successful in installing Windows, after that was done I shut down the computer, unplugged the power cable and connected my remaining hard drives but they wouldn't show up in my computer, I tried checking the disk management window but I couldn't find anything there, then I tried doing a disk part, list disk but only my one hard drive and my USB showed up, I thought maybe I had to do a new install so I started that.
This was a semi failure, in the installer windows one of my other 1TB hard drives showed up but not all of them, I did a disk part, convert to GPT on it and later in windows it showed up as an unused disk, I just installed the disk and it showed up and was useable, but i'm still struggling with my other hard drives.
I have tried several solutions found on forums but I can't remember them right now cause my head is tired after several hours of trying to fix this, but what I did try on my own was connect the SATA cables from the drives that do show up to my other non showing drives but that didn't help, I tried only having my non showing drives connected and starting the windows installation but it can't find them which I think is weird, also I have tried touching them to feel if they are spinning and working and they are, also I went into BIOS and changed from AHCI setting to RAID just to see if that would help but it didn't.
I should add that only 2 drives did show up in BIOS from the start but the first time as mentioned I got 2 drives that were supposedly 4TB and 7TB each, I did a little search on this and it said Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have a RAID like function where it would connect several drives to make one huge drive, I just assumed that was what had happened and by this point a hope of a sign that the drives are functioning properly, the last thing I can think of mentioning is that these drives were used in a small server at my work place but they were to be thrown so I took them, I was told they were set up in a RAID system so maybe that is causing some problems but then again why would it affect only 3 drives instead of 5?
Anyway I have just about gives up on this and I would hate to throw away my other 3 drives, especially my 2TB drive cause I would at least like to keep that one if only 2 will work, I have tried looking around on Google and can't quite find a solution to this problem, I only found forums and posts with solutions that worked for others but don't work for me and it's really frustrating after 7 hours.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What models are the wd drives? I am not sure they have 7tb hdd, that one seems odd - think drive is corrupted in some way.

Windows isn't going to see a drive if the bios cannot so 2 of them aren't going to do a lot.

install win 10 with 1 drive in PC or it will share itself around on the other drives. Don't give it a choice. If we can get win 10 working you can run Data Life guard for windows on the drives and see what it shows - it is made by western DIgital, run short and long tests. Should also tell you truth about that 7tb drive.

TechieViking

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Well that's what I did, after taking out all the drives except for one (found somewhere here on Tom's Hardware that Win 10 can't install if there are more than 1 drive connected) and running Windows installer again I was again show that 1TB drive and those other two that were 4TB and 7TB but I couldn't install on the 1TB drive cause it wasn't a GPT partition the error message said so I ran diskpark, selected the disk and ran 'Clean' first and then 'Convert GPT' and after that only the one drive I had connected showed up while the 4TB and 7TB were gone so I installed Windows.
After it was done I tried to go in to Disk Management to see if it could find the drives (after shutting down and connecting the other drives of course) but it couldn't find them, after 2-3 restarts it found one drive which I have enabled and configured so it's working now but my others are gone.
As I wrote in my first post is the weird thing is that BIOS only found 2 drives the whole time, the one which I installed Windows 10 on and my USB that had the installation files on it but nothing else, still from the start I had those two huge drives somehow showing up, but after only connecting the one and running diskpart to clean and convert it only one other drive now shows up, I have checked and they are running cause I can feel a slight vibration when I touch them, I have tested the SATA cables that are plugged in to them in to the working drives just to check if they could be faulty but they do work fine, same with the power cables.
Those drives worked fine like 8 days ago when I took them home and first started building this computer so I can't really see what could have happened in those 8 days to possibly ruin these drives, the very first time I started this computer they all showed up in BIOS but I had some problems with my CPU fan not properly cooling the CPU so I could get maybe a minute of running time before it shut down due to the CPU overheating, turned out the CPU fan wasn't properly fitted on, and then I had problems getting any picture on my screen, it would show up but at the next restart it wouldn't show an image, in the end I took out the screencard and plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard, most of this time was spent on those things and I didn't work on this every day either so it took a little while.
Anyway I've always used a bracelet so I don't mess up any parts while working with them and I haven't spilled anything in there either so I can't see how they could suddenly stop working.
As for the models i'm not really sure but i'll check a little later, I just remember they are WD.

TechieViking

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Well after getting a few other 1TB hard drives from work and connecting them they all showed up in BIOS so I assume that's a sign that the other ones are broken and unusable, even the 2TB one :/
But after connecting the new ones, even though they all show up in BIOS, only 1 was found within Windows, tried running a diskpart check and it also only found the one new hard drive, as did data life guard, could this mean my motherboard is really the issue?

TechieViking

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Now that you mention it I have not, i'll have a look at it later today.

TRENDING THREADS