Computer won't recognize GPU and uses integrated graphics, tried everything. Please help.

May 21, 2018
Hello, if you guys can help me that would be great. I believe it to be after a sudden power loss to my computer, but a couple weeks ago my computer started to use the onboard graphics rather than my GPU.

I'll give you the symptoms, then I'll list everything I've tried, then a spec list.

On startup, the GPU fans start fine. In device manager, my computer recognizes my GPU. Fans are still going even now, but my computer is not using the graphics when I start a game of any kind. In BIOS, the selection for what to use as my primary display lists as follows: AUTO, IGFX, and PEG. There is no PCI-E selection. I have tried all 3 available options. I can also connect my second display to the GPU's HDMI and I have my second display up fine.
Also as a side note, my motherboards HDMI input no longer works so I use VGA, any idea on why?

Here's a list of everything I've tried (i've looked all around looking for suggestions).
Reset CMOS
Go back to old graphics driver and update to new again
Reset windows
Moved moved the GPU to a different PCI-E
Switched around HDMI and VGA cables
Used an older GPU that's known to work with exact same symptoms (Radeon 6900, fans spin just fine and have second display)
Drank some beer
That's it I think...

Hardware specs:
CPU: Intel I7 7700k
CPU fan: Corsair H100i Water cooler
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel
GPU: EVGA 970
PSU: EVGA 80 plus gold 750

My diagnoses:
I'm really confused by this, my only two ideas is a faulty GPU, faulty PCI-E slot, or insufficient power, all of which don't seem to be the case. My computer recognizes the GPU and I am getting a second display, that rules out the faulty GPU and PCI-E slot right? Also, the fans start up just fine so it seems to get enough power.

Please help me, I've exhausted all options and having trouble diagnosing the issue. Is there a way to switch back to GPU being the primary graphics or is it a hardware issue? If so, how should I be able to know?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Peg is Pcie, some mobos call it Peg and others Pcie.

Connect primary display to the graphics card. Integrated wont pass through the graphics card video outputs. For integrated graphics to show a display or be primary disaplay is if the motherboard's video port is being used instead.

lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Stupid question. Are you sure you have the right input selected on your primary monitor? Like HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 or DP or DVI? Cycle through them just to be sure.

Also, try messing with the "set up multiple displays" menu in the Nvidia contol panel. The gpu may only be set to kick out a signal to the second display.

May 21, 2018

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that and let you know. one of the things I've tried that I forgot to mention was that there was no option for primary display as I've seen some people have, maybe it's just a newer version

Also to be sure that's not the issue: when I load up a game like AC origins and go to options, it shows that Intel graphics 630 is being used.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Peg is Pcie, some mobos call it Peg and others Pcie.

Connect primary display to the graphics card. Integrated wont pass through the graphics card video outputs. For integrated graphics to show a display or be primary disaplay is if the motherboard's video port is being used instead.

Solution
May 22, 2018
Unplug from onboard and use primary monitor only into GPU. Set up in control panel or GPU driver settings for dual, adjust accordingly and reboot with both plugged in after desired configuration.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The monitor you game on has to be set as the primary display in windows display opstion and has to be connected to the GPU. It's possible a windows update or something caused the display connected to the onboard graphics to become the primary display.

If you right click on the desktop and choose screen resolution from the menu, then from the next screen select the monitor you want and make sure the check box for make this my main display is selected and hit apply. That's my guess anyway.