Computer won't start, cpu fan cant spin, case fans spins for a second then stops then spins

reymehlg

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

I dont know what happened to my rig, recently it is working just fine. when i tried to use it the other day, the problem exist.

I started my computer but wont boot. but the case fans are spinning for a brief moment then stops again then spins again. this problem keeps on going. I also noticed that the cpu fan is not spinning. it is acting that it will spin but will not continue.
and also the hdd lights are in sync with the fans in starting and stopping.

What would be the solution for my problem.?
I tried different fix from different threads i searched.

Im thinking that the mobo or psu is the culprit.

Thank you for your time.

This build runs fine for more than 2 years with no fail.
CPU: i5 4590
MOBO: MSI H81M-P33
PSU: Deepcool DE 530
GPU: Zotac GTX 950
RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX
CPU Fan: Stock
Case Fan: 3 Thermaltake fan ( i forgot the model)
HDD: 2 Seagate Baracuda ( 1TB and 500gb)

Solution
it depends how much power the other PC was drawing. If it's a power draw issue, then a lower powered PC might still work with a faulty PSU

it could be a number of things.

However, I'd start with the following:
1. clear cmos
2. re-seat RAM (if it's 2 x 4gb, just try 1 x 4gb)
3. remove GPU and try on-board graphics
4. with the GPU still removed, disconnect all devices from the mobo & PSU, so all your left with is the mobo connected to the PSU with the CPU and 1 stick of ram and see if it boots to bios
4. re-seat CPU (check socket for bent pins)

if none of that works, it's either the mobo or PSU

if the other PC you tried the PSU in had a similar power draw, it would most likely be the mobo

blockhead78

Distinguished
it depends how much power the other PC was drawing. If it's a power draw issue, then a lower powered PC might still work with a faulty PSU

it could be a number of things.

However, I'd start with the following:
1. clear cmos
2. re-seat RAM (if it's 2 x 4gb, just try 1 x 4gb)
3. remove GPU and try on-board graphics
4. with the GPU still removed, disconnect all devices from the mobo & PSU, so all your left with is the mobo connected to the PSU with the CPU and 1 stick of ram and see if it boots to bios
4. re-seat CPU (check socket for bent pins)

if none of that works, it's either the mobo or PSU

if the other PC you tried the PSU in had a similar power draw, it would most likely be the mobo

Solution