[SOLVED] Computer wont start without remove usb device

Aug 4, 2021
Hi guys,

Before going into detail

I've read some similar thread about this problem and follow the instruction to fix this but wont help.

I follow all the step checking for "system wont start" in sticked thread at the top of this forum but it wont help.

About 2 weeks ago, my computer wont start.
It only start if i do these follow step.
  1. Press power button
  2. Remove some usb devices plugged at usb port behind the computer and the computer will turn on its own.

Since there is a lock down in my city, i cant bring it to hardware store to fix.
I manage to start my computer this way until now when nothing i do seem to get it to start.

I've tried remove all the usb devices plugging in my computer, HDMI and DP. Basically everthing that plug into my computer but power cable.

The only thing that come to my mind which may cause this is the night light that i just got a week before this issue started. i plug it in front USB port before sleeping.

Dear admin/moderator. Please dont delete this thread. I really need my computer to work since now i have to work from home and my previous thread about this issue got deleted without any notification.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
What do you mean it wouldn’t start? It wouldn’t post?

and what usb device is that? If it starts without plugging it in, have you thought about… not plugging it in?

if you do not know which device is causing your problem, try disconnecting one by one and see if it boots.

Aug 4, 2021
What do you mean it wouldn’t start? It wouldn’t post?

and what USB device is that? If it starts without plugging it in, have you thought about… not plugging it in?

if you do not know which device is causing your problem, try disconnecting one by one and see if it boots.

It will start as nothing runs on the computer.
No fan, no noise, no led light on the motherboard.
However, if I plug in any USB device, I can see there is power on that device.

I manage to start my computer by remove 2 USB cables at the back of the computer for some time until this morning when this method is no longer working.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
There are too many variables…. Unlikely that a plugged usb device is causing this. It seems more like a faulty psu.

try first resetting the bios, then try a process of elimination. remove some ram sticks and run on integrated graphics if any, remove all other peripherals and see it it boots.

what is your full system specs btw?

Aug 4, 2021
There are too many variables…. Unlikely that a plugged usb device is causing this. It seems more like a faulty psu.

try first resetting the bios, then try a process of elimination. remove some ram sticks and run on integrated graphics if any, remove all other peripherals and see it it boots.

what is your full system specs btw?

I've tried with RAM sticks VGA, HDD.

Only when I try with USB cable behind the computer then it starts.

here is my spec:

CPU: I7 - 8700 @ 3.2 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0-CF
RAM: 2x8 GB
VGA: Nvidia 2070S

Aug 4, 2021
Have you tried resetting bios settings?

what is the make and model of the psu? All psu connectors are plugged in properly and secure? Im leaning towards a bad psu here.

corsair rm 750 gold

All the PSU connectors are plugged as normal.

I didn't touch anything for the last 2 months.

Maybe it's the PSU since it's already 4 years old. How to check for bad PSU ? cause there is a PSU sale going on in my city., i might get some good deal for new PSU

Aug 4, 2021
well, the easiest way to test if the psu is the problem is to try a different one and see if the problem goes away...

I finally got an extra PSU from another computer. did a swap test and it is confirmed that my current PSU going bad.

I will have to wait until the lockdown in my city is lifted.

Thank you for your assistant