computer won't start

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I have a computer that wouldn't start. It powers on then beeps every second until I power it off. If I remove the memory, I get the no-memory detected beep then nothing.

Suspecting the motherboard, I moved the CPU and memory to a different board that was definitely working the last time I used it. This time I get the no-memory beep if I remove the memory but nothing otherwise.

There is no video - the monitor, which is working, doesn't even show show a video signal (the status light never goes to green to show it's awake).

I've tried clearing the CMOS settings on both boards without success.

Any ideas on what is going on? There are only three parts in common - the PSU, the CPU and the memory.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

The continuous beep from the one board doesn't have an identified cause. I asked the motherboard manufacturer and they suggested clearing the CMOS and also inspecting the CPU for bent pins. Clearing the CMOS didn't work and the CPU has no bent pins.

The other board never beeps unless I remove the memory. Then I get the no-memory beep code.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

The fact that it's happening on two different motherboards makes me suspect that it's another component that is giving the problem. However, if it was the memory, I'd expect to see the POST at least. If it was the PSU, I'd expect the computer to not turn on. If it was the CPU, I'd expect no beep codes ever....

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

It's pretty normal: one board is Gigabyte and the other is ASUS. The CPU is a quad-core Phenom II. Memory is Corsair DDR3 and the PSU is DiabloTek (I think that's a TigerDirect house brand).

ya well I don't know were to go now unless its the psu if its being used for both boards and your getting the beep due to that I assume nether board has onboard graphics to check between it and the card?

psu may be giving power to try to start but it may not be holding or giving power as it should to run.