Question Computer working but no output to keyboard mouse or monitor

RajatheBeast

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hey guys
I recently got back from university and tried turning on my computer only to find that it would turn on (computer lights on) but my keyboard mouse don’t get any power (I can tell because they’re not lighting up) and my display has no output.

I tried a bunch of things such as unplugging and replugging everything to no avail. After that I tried resetting the CMOS and then all of a sudden it worked! I could perfectly boot to my drive but as soon as I restart the computer it won’t reboot properly giving the same errors until I once again reset the CMOS. by using this method I accessed my computer and tried doing a few things such as updating the bios resetting windows trying a different boot drive but every time I get the same problem where my computer turns on however nothing is displayed or anything.

Basically the only way I have access to my computer is to first take off the side panel unplug the computer stick a screw driver into reset the CMOS the boot it up. I don’t think any of my parts are damaged because by using this method everything works fine I don’t know what I did.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Ive bought them at local Dollar store they are CR2033 lithium 3V battery.. and yes date and time wll have some starge effects if not set proper when windows says its one date but Bios says diffrent.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Ive bought them at local Dollar store they are CR2033 lithium 3V battery
It's 2032,

2260_-_ikbenstil_moederbord_batterij_cr2032_3v.jpg

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
myself id get a new battery as well id make sure once new battery is installed to make sure the Bios date/time is set properly. (you could do this without a battery mind you but if your system lost power it would reset ) .. if this failed to work Id think about possible windows updates glitched or messed up something, I know the new Windows 10 1903 release has caused issues so maybe resetting windows or a fresh install. of course id also test the keyboard/mouse on another system as well try others on my system, make sure all drivers are up to date such as chip set, GPU , etc..but there unlikely the issue if you can use them when everything is working (such as in Bios etc).. so id look more towards Drivers,

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
sorry .. I didnt realize windows 10 once again updated (my PC just does it all automatic now ).. but yes I see now its 1909 as of Nov . perhaps its this new Update which is causing issues? I know windows is pretty good at causing issues with their updates lol.. after last update and one prior Ive had to reinstall sound drivers as well as updated the drivers for my board (I used newest drivers on manufacture site, which I believe were new for 1903 and 1909 support) so perhaps it is a driver issue. but I really couldn't say 100% , as computers do tend to do some strange stuff at times but i would think if the mouse/keyboard and video are working when you reset Bios but then crash at windows. myself that screams driver issue. now whether a updated driver will fix it or a fresh install of windows i suppose its hard to say.. but id also start with the Bios battery, check the time/date etc in bios to make sure its all good.. you can test battery easy enough if you can access bios without always resetting it. just shut down system and unplug from wall for 30 seconds or so .. if battery is working it would hold the date/time settings in bios.. if not.. it wont.. so maybe replace that.. but that I dont think would cause the keyboard and mouse from not working suddenly but chipset drivers may as they control USB i believe .. so if the system can be booted.. and mouse/keyboard/monitor work until windows loads.. well Id almost bet its software issues

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS