Computex 2018: Rumors & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Computex 2018 is just around the corner. The annual summer convention held in Taipei is known for revealing the years biggest trends in tech. We've put together this thread to collect any rumors you may have heard to discuss what you're looking forward to at this year's convention.

banner_computex_2018_WtA6.jpg

There's lots to look forward to and all our favorite companies will be there. Intel, AMD, Asus, Nvidia, and many more will be showing off products that will plot out their release schedule for the rest of the year. We're expecting to see thinner laptops, more powerful laptops, VR, overclocking, and maybe even a few details about Ryzen 3!

Have any juicy news to share? What are you looking forward to? If you need to stay on the cutting edge make sure you check out the Tom's Hardware home page, and hit that F5 key regularly for all of the latest updates.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/05/intel-28-core-cpu/ sweet baby cheesus....

TL;DR - Intel will launch a 28 core 5GHz CPU by the end of the year. The CPU achieved 7,334 score on Cinebench, which is out of this world.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Anyone see ASUS's AIO CPU cooler with a screen on it? Displays images, GIFs, or system temps.

I mean that's pretty cool I guess, just can't imagine opening my case to stare at a 1-inch screen to see temps. Openhardwaremonitor and CAM exist for a reason...

Nice idea though.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Impressive. It's so amazing how fast technology is moving. From Threadripper to that in just a couple years.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
"Yo bro, on what resolution are you gaming on your CPU block?" .

"Oh, a beastly 160x160, you can see so much detail it's revolutionary".

@Ariewok, I know right? I did a little more reading and there are some speculations that that OC chip may have achieved a 710W power consumption alone which means Intel probably used a 1000W-or-somethong chiller and hid it somewhere so people couldn't see. Pretty bonkers.

^ Imagine the power draw for the 32 core threadripper chip then. The power phase in the msi Meg X399 and gigabyte extreme are monstrous.

On a side note, the cpu vrm in the msi board is almost a T in the top. Some fancy new monoblock designs incoming?

I also hate the fact that for the monoblock installation, u have to remove the stock vrm heatsink. That's no issue in the z370/X470. But in X399 and X299, it leaves the soc vrm to passive cooling without a fan but maybe just the small rear io fan if any. I know that they don't get as hot as the cpu vrm, but still it would be cool if the heatsink is a two piece design so that we can retain the soc heatsink part.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So, head over to caselabs, get the basics for mounting the motherboard, or find an old lian-li to tear apart. Get some scrap aluminum, make a sand mold, melt and cast, extract, grind, polish and you are good to go. A few dozen man-hours later and you too can have a 'case'

I rather like that wooden sailing vessel on top of the treasure chest. A bit simple, but would look great in a fancy library. I've kind of wanted to put a computer inside of one of those huge globes that just rests in a socket rather than the ones mounted on a gimble.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Give it a couple years and we'll have 4k 1-inch screens...

Wow... remember that 2200 Watt PSU EVGA had at CES 2018? Might actually be a use for that now. Imagine getting a 2 CPU server board and running 2 of those things... Then just add in ExaDrive's 100TB SSD (50,000 USD) and you're all set!

Gonna sell my house and mine cryptos off that.

Oh, you guys think that's a cool case. Nah... I'd rather have one of these things... MBX MKII

Would add in some of the key features so you don't gotta watch the video, but there's too much to talk about.
Highlight: Cableless drive caddy
v9iQbFz.png
Linus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHG1E42QBE]Linus Tech Tips' Showcase on MBX MKII[/url]

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have any drives anymore, plenty of room for M.2 SSDs these days, or even PCIe expansion cards. I do miss that though, my old poweredge 4200 has hot swappable SCSI bays.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Good point. M.2s are pretty amazing.

But... can I interested you in a hidden optical drive slot?

mbx-mkii-12.jpg

Also, there's actually a Tom's Hardware spotlight on it too, which I didn't realize.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/xforma-mbx-mk2-cost-elite,28931.html

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Who does use disks anymore... still, I think it's a pretty cool concept!

Only use I have for them is a Live CD of Ubuntu running off a DVD. SATA to ribbon cable in my laptop is broken, so I just shut down around once a week and it works decently.

New cable came in like a week ago, but you know... laziness. I'm really starting to enjoy Ubuntu a lot more than I thought I would; part of me doesn't want to go back to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.