Computex: Everyone's Got an Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
they need to push the boundaries more than apple to be competitive, create tablets for artists, get pico-projectors installed for large format displays, dock able keyboards to take the place of laptops for the average user(read: not people who read tech sites). There are soooo many things that people would love to have and could totally benefit from over what Apple is giving us, why cant these companies start innovating and build something interesting for once.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
An impressive set of features is nice... if people want them and are willing to pay for them. One of the problems tablet manufacturers have today is that they are in such a hurry to "out-perform" the iPad. In doing so, they put in more hardware, but the useful life of a charge cycle, and price themselves out of the market where they would probably have had a fighting chance. A tablet with a working 8.5x11 screen that will accept either finger or pen input would be great for reading books, painting, writing, etc... A dual-core ARM should more than suffice. All the extra gimmicks add to the price and limit the market for who is willing to buy them. That said... maybe pen input is just a gimmick too, but it's one that *I* would want. :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]...why cant these companies start innovating and build something interesting for once.[/citation]
These companies find it more profitable to sell clones rather than be innovative. They have no aim to drive this industry.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
First of all it's the ECONOMY stupid! Consumers are very strapped and except for Apple iDrones I mean cultists (which also is fairly small market), many folks are going without...because they cannot afford

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]First of all it's the ECONOMY stupid! Consumers are very strapped and except for Apple iDrones I mean cultists (which also is fairly small market), many folks are going without...because they cannot afford[/citation]

first off the world economy is bouncing back, its the US economy that cant figure out how to get itself back together. Many of those people that cant afford the nice toy, probably either didn't go to school, or got a degree in underwater basket weaving.
Secondly you're a giant douche, people have credit for a reason, they buy stuff they cant afford, its the AMERICAN way. If a tech company were to put decent features that would actually benefit people in tablets, people would buy it with credit. If you want to talk about how thats what got the world into this 'mess' feel free to respond and ill rip you another one about that subject.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]First of all it's the ECONOMY stupid! Consumers are very strapped and except for Apple iDrones I mean cultists (which also is fairly small market), many folks are going without...because they cannot afford[/citation]
Just because you are struggling does not mean everyone else is. I am 23 and just bought a $3.5k laptop (I know I am a retard and you all will tell me how I could have had a better desktop blah blah blah). People with jobs have money, a lot of them are willing to spend that money.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Many of these Android tablets have better specs than the iPad, some have worse. In my opinion it's the perception that Apple tablets are better (rev up the hotbed of arguing here). Many of the Android tablets are nice devices and the Android 3.0 is an easy to use interface. The winners will be the manufacturers that are able to have lower priced tablets.

Just let the potential consumers decide what they want to spend their money on, and give us some objective reviews of some of these tablets at Computex, without throwing here and there an ipad comparison (that no one wants, anyways), like a good tech site would do.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Why must everyone have a tablet? Is there some sort of law?

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]Why must everyone have a tablet? Is there some sort of law?[/citation]

yes, congress is voting to pass a 'no tablet = act of war' bill.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I have a good job too, and a mortgage, and a family, and home repairs and the rest of life to pay for. Lot's of people have jobs, (90% of the workforce) not a lot of people have disposable income.

You see in that new Verizon commercial, sales lady tells the dude, "your wife will appreciate the dual-core tegra 2 chipset". This is a commercial for an android 3 tab.

I would say their marketing and advertising strategies are huge if not the hugest fail. Don't spout nonsense the avg person wont comprehend just to sound intelligent. Literally show how its used, show how its use is better than another.

Disclaimer: This is a comment and not any official statement. Any spelling or grammar errors appear because any person of average or better intelligence will understand what I mean.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]yes, congress is voting to pass a 'no tablet = act of war' bill.[/citation]

LOL... guess I'm just on the opposing front then. No tablets, smartphones, or even laptops for me. My computer stays at home!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]I have a good job too, and a mortgage, and a family, and home repairs and the rest of life to pay for. Lot's of people have jobs, (90% of the workforce) not a lot of people have disposable income.[/citation]

Thanks for clarifying by point.

As for the genius that speaks of drones continuing to buy on credit, well it used to be easy to keep doing the wrong thing by buying on credit and digging yourself in deeper into debt, not so much anymore credit is much harder to come by and the interest and penalties are much more severe when you fail to pay on time.

The spending spree on credit in the US died about three years ago.

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Credit in terms of mortgages and car loans are much harder to get. Now small credit accounts which are usually used in buying gimmick fashion electronics is still just as available as ever. The economy is still sucking for air. The only things optimisic are based on speculation which has run rampant in markets. Also, from what I have seen other companies have innovated much more than apple. Apple is known as a 2nd mover fashion electronics company with little actual innovation. Most Iproducts I see are gifts from wealthy sibling. Anyone who makes their own buck won't waste it fashion electronics if they have a functioning brain. Sorry if there are typos. At work on my phone (lunch) making a good living at 22.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Android should of stuck with phones and made them the best they could. I would like a windows 7 tablet if they could get it working as a useful complement to your pc.
Ipad is good for games and taking notes and light Internet. This is not too hard to copy but only apple fan boys that need to look cool with a ipad will spend that sort of money on something that does so little

G

Obviously with every vendors trying to build an Android tablet now, most of them will fail and out of the race in a few years time. However, a few vendors will come up on top, using similar spec and hardware, and the sheer volume of the combined sales will drive down the component prices. The situation is same as the early PC era back in the 80s.

Apple currently has Achille's heel which will eventually undermine their own dominance. Their excessive need to control and maintain a closed platform will turn many buyers away to the Android camp which will remain open, and their conflicting need to control the media format on their platform (such as the fate of those who need to sell content and hardware at the same time, such as Sony), will eventually put up too much stumbling blocks for them that other vendors will move ahead.

However, if Apple is able to such inherent pitfalls in their business, they might eventually dominate the tablet sales, and in many ways, making in roads to even productivity platforms (i.e. intel/Microsoft domain). However, the challenges are many and I don't see how they can really succeed.
Before that can happen, Intel and Microsoft are going to throw away so much money to stop them, and every vendors will be supporting due to the fact that Apple runs a closed platform which no other vendor can benefit except Apple itself. Being closed platform will eventually lead to Apple's downfall.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alyon[/nom]Credit in terms of mortgages and car loans are much harder to get. Now small credit accounts which are usually used in buying gimmick fashion electronics is still just as available as ever. The economy is still sucking for air. The only things optimisic are based on speculation which has run rampant in markets. Also, from what I have seen other companies have innovated much more than apple. Apple is known as a 2nd mover fashion electronics company with little actual innovation. Most Iproducts I see are gifts from wealthy sibling. Anyone who makes their own buck won't waste it fashion electronics if they have a functioning brain. Sorry if there are typos. At work on my phone (lunch) making a good living at 22.[/citation]

But that is the point isn't it? Apple's typical fan base really DO lack a brain (Well, at least a technical one). They use hype and looks to market products to technological idiots. Some people actually believe that their hardware and products from Apple are somehow special and superior. Little do they know the only difference is a different OS and outdated peripherals. They're just trying to be too cool for school with their iPad.

Oh, and for you special snowflakes out there, I DO understand that about 10% of Apples fan base may actually have some technological intellect and actually understand exactly what their product is, and the hardware inside of it. You'll come at me with arguments of how you prefer it and like it better, and how you EVEN BUILD YOUR OWN GAMING RIGS LIKE I SOMEHOW COULD NOT BELIEVE A PERSON ONCE BUILT PC GAMING RIGS, BUT NOW PREFERS AND CHOOSES APPLE. Suffice to say, you're just the black sheep; The fact still remains, most of Apple customers don't understand computers whatsoever.....outside of Facebook browsing and flash game sites.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have Asus Transformer Android tablet, and there's no much I can do except reading comics, which I originally got it for. I'd really prefer a fully featured Windows 7 tablet with 3GB of RAM and 32/64GB high speed SSD, that doesn't weight 2kg; 500g would be awesome!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]The spending spree on credit in the US died about three years ago.[/citation]
And will take about 100 years to pay back seeing as the national debt runs into trillions.

G

Here are some ideas to beat the iPad - feel free to add your wishes...

make the device easy to personalize.
add IR and RF so it can be used as a remote control
add really accurate voice recognition
make synchronizing easy across multiple devices
if it has a phone, make the phone available on ALL carriers

With regards to the app purchase part, the anonymous sources are completely correct.

I know several people with an iPad2; they have probably spent at least $50 on apps so far, in just a month. One of them also owns an X10; he refuses to buy apps on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.