Concept Video iOS 7 Hints at Possibilties

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Making a proper critique is not the same as the trash talking that is rampant on here Actually, I agree with you on the things that iOS 7 needs. Instead of talking out of my a$$ I own both 6.1.3 and 4.2.2 - and Google needs to work on making the OS a bit more stable (I still experience more crashes on my 7 - I also experience quite a bit of sluggishness - I had to root and swap kernels to get over that. Glitches aside - improving the interface for tablets would be nice - it still feels like a large screen phone - though Samsung's newest Galaxy is getting close to the Nexus 7.The point is both OS could use some work - You're sorry I want Key Lime Pie to improve? Wow, you must think Android is perfect and couldn't be any better... SighSent from my Nexus 7[/citation]
Android, perfect? Far from it. I was just curious how precisely would you like KLP to improve, since it's code has not even been released yet. Was a genuine question.
As far as iOS' rendering there, it just goes to show that people that can reason beyond "OMG, I gotta have the iDevice my friends have!" just yearn to get more Android-like functionality, and Apple has tipped it's hat towards that, as well. See the notification bar, bastardized from Android's more complete version, but still... It's obvious it's an attempt to copy. What will be "invented" next by Apple, widgets? App drawer?
You might have a lot of time on your hands today, as you said, but don't put "words in my mouth", so to speak...
My wife has an iP4 and can't wait to inherit my SGS2, or maybe get a new Android phone. Since I've put JB on my SGS2 I did not have ONE single app crash yet. There are apps that don't work properly on her iPhone, except when they crash, you don't get any notification about it, they just close. Point being, everyone has their own story about this or that device, and no one can refute these, because they're just personal experience. Couple weeks ago we were at the museum for a cultural evening (music and drinks) and there was one lady in front of us that could not get her Camera app to work properly on her iP5. I didn't say anything, but my wife noticed that as well and looked amused. Talk about "it just works"...

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]Hey, I like apple, but am not blind...Siri plain sucks for a lot of things. I have Google Now voice search on my Ipad as well. Guess what, it gets things wrong also even though it does better. Google happens to just bring up web links for everything, it sucks at context, which is where siri does better, when it can understand that is. Still...even though it sucks..it doesn't crash...[/citation]

I think you have missed the point of what he was saying there, you where saying that at least apple do everything on every device. and house70 is just point out that they don't, with the example of them not putting siri on the iPhone4. siri is not the only feature they have missed on the iPhone4, I he wasn't commenting on the quality of siri

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

I can't speak to your wife's preference of the SGS2 over an iPad 4, but something doesn't sound right - Why is she comparing a tablet to your phone?

I've gone through 3 Nexus 7s - (issues with screen coming off, problems with JB that they decided to replace the tablet even though the issue was the OS) - I'm glad of Google's warranty because I would be pissed otherwise.

iOS users wanting Android like functionality? What do you call Project Butter? iOS US smoothness on Android - This was from a friend who works for Google - One of my biggest complaints with my ICS tablet was the UI was sluggish compared to the Ipad 2...

The point is that both UIs can use updates ;)

Your wife's iPhone 5 crashes all the time? Hmmm... Mine hasn't crashed once, and I do quite a bit on it :) I'm surprised that JB hasn't caused any crashes on your SGS2 - Maybe it's better written for Samsung hardware than Google's own hardware but let's take a look at a few issues I had with 4.1.x - Bluetooth not working, Screen flicker that made the tablet unusable, constant crashes - 4.2.2 has made a huge improvement but it's been a bumpy road none the less.

You make a good point about personal experience - I have 3 friends who are not tech savvy and they have asked me to root their Android phones because they are not happy with the older OS and they want to remove some of the preinstalled crap that AT&T/Verizon have installed. One of them is out of luck because JB isn't even an option on his less than 2 year old phone.

There is no perfect OS, hardware - You pick what works for you.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

Its sad you have had a bad experience with the device that has the highest customer satisfaction rate. Just to let you know this is not normal behavior for any top line Android devices. If problems continue return your phone for repairs/replace (like you did).
Android and iOS have very similar crash rates its very low now for both. If something like what your experiencing happens to any phone you should send it back. I have not experienced anything like this for the last 2 years, tho I have seen bugs on both bands of phones Wi-fi issues and battery drain issues are the most common. I have another bug it is a strange one I cant hear people that own iPhones clearly like we always have constant bad reception, but its not a problem if the other person has an android/windows phone.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Okay, since he wanted to flame iOS though. I thought i'd bring up the bad points of android. As far as Siri goes, you are right, it's not on every device. My point however is that when you buy an app for the iphone, it works on almost all of them. SOME apps just don't work on the first one, but most do.

You go to the google store and download something that works on other ppls phones, it's still a crap shoot a to whether it works or not.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Wow, I sense a lot of sore vags around here. iOS is 'dated' because they stuck with what works and is easy for your mom, pop and granddad to figure out. And it works, and sells, which no amount of lame feedback by fanboys can contradict. It must really hurt that it still sells, and sells well.

@ sundragon: dude, I was referring to her iPhone 4 when I used iP4. Everything that follows on your discourse is based on a false premise. Sorry.
BTW, in the meanwhile she asked me to buy her a new phone, so I did. She went into an AT&T store and played with their One, so I got that (of course, dev. edition). Had to wait for it a while, but now it's at home waiting for me to tinker with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.