Configuring case fans

miekle89

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Hey everyone,

I just did my first build and surprisingly it went smooth - with thanks to the many resources out there! I have a cooler master pro 5 case and the two fans on the front of the case do not have cables long enough to make it to my ASUS Z170-A mobo. So, what I did was take the three pin cables on the fans and connect them to a 2x molex (1x F, 1x M) to two pin cable. I then connected the molex (M) to a molex (F) which connects into my power supply. This cable also has a four pin plug (F) - not currently connected. The fans work, but my mobo doesn't recognize them - duh, because it is not connected. If I connect the four pin cable to my mobo, do I need to disconnect it from the PSU, or do I keep it connected to the PSU too?

Thanks!

Solution
Judging from this picture
CMMS5_32.JPG

they are both molex to 3/4 pin fan adapters. They don't look like they have a separate split end that connects to the motherboard.

Can you please pass on a pic to clarify this? It's things like these that often require a picture to understand both people are talking about the same thing(or at least looking at the same thing).

Lutfij

Titan
Judging from this picture
CMMS5_32.JPG

they are both molex to 3/4 pin fan adapters. They don't look like they have a separate split end that connects to the motherboard.

Can you please pass on a pic to clarify this? It's things like these that often require a picture to understand both people are talking about the same thing(or at least looking at the same thing).

Solution