Question Configuring Dual IP Ranges on Nokia G-140W-F Router: Personal Use and CCTV/IoT ?

Nov 12, 2023
Hello,

I have a Nokia G-140W-F router (provided by Airtel broadband fiber router in India) and would like to set up two separate IP ranges for specific purposes:

Personal Use: IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254.
CCTV Cameras and IoT Devices: IP range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.

I am from non-networking background and I'm looking for guidance on how to configure these two distinct IP ranges on my router. I want to ensure that my personal devices are on one network, while my CCTV cameras and IoT devices are on another.

Could someone please provide step-by-step instructions or tips specific to the Nokia G-140W-F router? Additionally, if there are any best practices to follow, I would appreciate your advice.

Also do I require any Switch etc for creating VLAN or Subnets?

Thank you for your assistance!

Way more complex than you think it is.

Like most consumer boxes the nokia is not a actual router. These boxes are best called gateways they take a single lan subnet and translate the IP to a single wan IP. They do a couple other minor things but they are missing the key feature....they can not actually "route" traffic.

Do you cameras and iot devices actually need internet. Can you put them on their own physical switch or router with no internet.

So if you were to buy a actual router that can support mulitple subnet you can use vlans etc to do this. I suspect because you are asking such a basic question it will take a long time to learn all the details to do it that way.

The somewhat more simple way is to buy a new "router"..ie consumer gateway for each network. You would then hook the wan port of each those devices to your current ISP router. So you now have 3 routers in your house. Each network can still get to the internet but they can not talk to each other. Both network think the other network is actually on the internet since it is on the wan side of the router. Just like someone on the internet can not access you local machines device on these router can not access the devices on the other network.

Nov 12, 2023
Way more complex than you think it is.

Like most consumer boxes the nokia is not a actual router. These boxes are best called gateways they take a single lan subnet and translate the IP to a single wan IP. They do a couple other minor things but they are missing the key feature....they can not actually "route" traffic.

Do you cameras and iot devices actually need internet. Can you put them on their own physical switch or router with no internet.

So if you were to buy a actual router that can support mulitple subnet you can use vlans etc to do this. I suspect because you are asking such a basic question it will take a long time to learn all the details to do it that way.

The somewhat more simple way is to buy a new "router"..ie consumer gateway for each network. You would then hook the wan port of each those devices to your current ISP router. So you now have 3 routers in your house. Each network can still get to the internet but they can not talk to each other. Both network think the other network is actually on the internet since it is on the wan side of the router. Just like someone on the internet can not access you local machines device on these router can not access the devices on the other network.
@bill001g : My IOT Devices require internet, such as Smart Bulb, and AC and Alexa Devices etc.
Can I purchase any Switch to do this? Please suggest any specific Switch for this purpose in low cost.
Thanks.

There is no simple way to do this. You can't just use a switch

So if you only have a could of devices you could hook all the IOT things to the main router. Then to protect all other devices hook another router to the main router and then hook the protected devices to the second router.

Even that might not be simple. First you must use different subents on the wan/lan of the second router. Next you must be able to cable the devices to the second router. You will also need to use different wifi networks for this second router to prevent the IOT devices from connecting.

TRENDING THREADS