Question Configuring Samsung M.2 NVMe with existing 850 EVO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
I just upgrade my pc to an MSI 970pro mb, Ryzen 5 2600 and added an M.2 NVMe 500gb. Windows 10 is currently installed on my existing 850 EVO 500gb drive. My goal is to migrate windows 10 to the M.2 and convert the 850 to storage/app expansion. I've found posts videos for using Samsung's data migration tool, but my questions are mostly what comes after that.

1. I'd like to do a fresh windows install on the M.2 using a pen drive, but with 3 hours average time to reinstall each game X 8 games that is 24 hours of continuous downloading. What is the current thought on Cloning versus fresh install? Is using the migration tool ok?

2. Both the new M.2 and the 850 EVO are 500gb. The 850 is currently full. If I clone the 850 over to the M.2, it will be full. My thinking is to keep my two favorite games on the M.2 and install the rest on the 850 EVO. Is this correct thinking?

3. If yes, would I clone the drive over and then uninstall the games (from the M.2) that I want to have on the 850 EVO, wipe the 850 EVO and then install the games to the 850 EVO?

4. Is there a guide video that will hold my hand step by step through this process? (paste links please) : )

5. If the above is not the best way to do this, what should I do?

Thanks, -G