Confirmed: Apple Puts Wrench into Hackintoshes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First, Apple's only "proactive step" was towards negating US Copyright Law. Second, forcing computer hardware into an infinite loop that will inevitably fry circuitry sounds like an intentional tort to me.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I don't get why someone would intentionally put OSX on their computer. I mean, if you want to pirate something, shouldn't you pick an OS with the largest software library (windows)? And if you want stability, shouldn't you pick Linux? Maybe a solid Debian based distro like Unbuntu. And, if you want something trendy, maybe Sabayon.

All a Machine with OSX says to me is "My owner is a complete moron". I don't care if its on a Netbook or not. Seriously.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]I'd like to see the proof backing up your comment[/citation]

That's pretty simple. Just do a google search for "how to install os x on my netbook" and you'll be inundated with instructions on downloading modified copies of OS X.

Or you could head over to any number of torrenting websites and count up the sheer number of current seeders running kalyway and other edited versions of OS X.

I also have the business sense. If there were a large number of people actually spending $120 to run OS X on their netbook I really don't think Apple would mind.

Don't let information get in the way of your bias though.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Who is the evil Emperor, Ballmer or Jobs?[/citation]
Jobs with Nvidia's CEO as General Grevious

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Some people pirate. I pirate sometimes. But when I like a product, I pay for it.
I am not biased. You are the ones that believe that nobody would actually pay for a product they want.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I don't own an Apple product, never have, but... How do you know for sure that Apple is purposefully "denying" netbook users? It's quite possible that they're using some optimized code in OSX 10.6.2 that uses certain CPU features (which could include newer versions of SSE, VT, etc.) that would be common to all of the Intel CPU models that they officially sell, but which are not present in the Atom, which has a significantly thinner instruction set than Intel's other CPUs. Executing an unsupported CPU instruction would cause big problems (such as an instant reboot), and Apple has no need to optimize OSX to work on CPUs they don't sell. Why would they?

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]And people think Windows Genuine Advantage is a pain in the ass. At least Microsoft doesn't give the pirates/thieves/hackers (whatever you want to call them) the finger and put your system into an infinite reboot.[/citation]

yeah thats against the law they dont own your hardware and you own the operating system (you purchased), I see a class action lawsuit coming out of this

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]smellyfeet[/nom]Apple can simply put a permanent wrench into Hackintosh. All they need to do is get IBM to design a new powerPC processor that is more efficient and powerful than Intels best processor line and revert back to that architecture. That would settle it once and for all.[/citation]

Thats why they are using Intel the powerPC processor was not able to achieve the power and speed of the Intel based (AMD also) forget about 64bit

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]yeah thats against the law they dont own your hardware and you own the operating system (you purchased), I see a class action lawsuit coming out of this[/citation]

No, it isn't against the law, and it isn't subject to a class-action lawsuit. Apple makes no guarantees that OSX would run on your PC. None. The only recourse you have is a refund from Apple for what you paid for OSX in the first place. If Apple doesn't refund your money, THEN you might have something to take to the courts.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]APPLE SAPPING MAH NETBOOK!Seriously, Apple. These guys are paying you to run your software and you deny it to them because they didn't want the overpriced hardware? I thought you guys liked money.[/citation]

So... Because they want to require users to buy their overpriced hardware they don't like money?
Clearly they think that a reasonable amount of their revenue from their software comes through their hardware sales.
Their profit seems to show that it's a good way of doing it.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I don't think apple have fully appreciated the title of what they are blocking, its called HACKintoshing for a reason, they hacked it to work in the first place, they will hack around what ever apple tries to do to stop them.

all apple are proving it that they are controlling basterds, but they proved that to me ages ago anyway.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]LeJay[/nom]So... Because they want to require users to buy their overpriced hardware they don't like money?Clearly they think that a reasonable amount of their revenue from their software comes through their hardware sales. Their profit seems to show that it's a good way of doing it.[/citation]

Not at all. What I meant is that their practices against hackintosh users will only hurt their business. Preventing users from installing Leopard in non-Apple PC's will foment piracy, among other things that would be called "bad business decisions".

Its probably OSX detecting the CPU mask and rebooting itself. This is Apple we're talking about here, the same guys who strangle the iStore apps and are constantly trying to stop people from breaking their iPhone.

People will just find a way to modify the boot code to alter the CPU mask during boot and prevent the OS from doing its infinite reboot phase. I really don't see why someone would want OSX on their PC. Most Apple users are snobs who thinks it makes them someone trendy or cool to use "Apple" products and that their somehow superior to all the windows users out there. But if someone wants a hackintosh then more power to them.

To those talking about Apple not wanting money / locking its software to their own hardware, its not about money. Apple is trying to protect its brand image. It sells stylish case's and its products are instantly recognized as "cliq" similar to designer hand bags and clothing. In their eyes a PC isn't a user tool or device, its an accessory. A bunch of vanilla PC's running around that functioned like a real Mac cheapens their logo and image and makes their branded customers look like fools (because there is no real functional difference between a hackintosh and a purchased Mac). Basically their branded customers start to feel cheated because their no longer special butterfly's who have their own special club for the "cool kids".

Because your hackintosh does not look like a a real iMac but functions the same, it therefor lowers the perceived value of real iMac's everywhere else. And if anyone can get the benefits of OSX (whatever they may be) without having to own up and pay homage to the iLife faith, then that circumvents their biggest customer incentive.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Guys........ Buy Windows 7.

OS X isn't that fantastic. You can't even turn off mouse acceleration unless you download "an app for that."

The only reason I would buy a mac is to have a REAL firewire port on my laptop (that works well with my audio interface) for live performances. That's it. The second new drivers are available to Win7 and someone releases a decent laptop for audio, then I'll go back to Windows completely.

If you haven't tried windows 7 yet, give it a go. I was skeptical (as a beta tester), but all my issues were due to my old motherboard. A lot of issues have been fixed, and the new features are great. Now, if only people would jump on the 64-bit bandwagon already!

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Its kinda funny that the EU and co give Microsoft so much aggro for only having a Microsoft web browser in Microsoft Windows despite the fact that Windows will run on almost any companys PC hardware yet Apple rigs their O/S to only work if you buy Apple PC hardware and nobody does anything

(for those kiddies reading yes macs ARE PC's, so are Commadores, Amigas, Atari ST's, Acorns, BBCs, etc)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]< Waiting Patiently for Apple to RickRoll everyone's Hackintosh >...after all, if it's good enough for an iPhone![/citation]
Official update rickrolls every single hackintosh user...
Now that would be epic.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
your about as wrong as any individual on here. I have 6 macs at home not a one of them did i buy just be to cool hell im anti social most of the time have like no friends and if i told any one where i live i had that many macs in one place id be robbed. my point is it comes down to personal preference windows and mac are both effective tools and some tools on a mac are more effective than on a windows and some on a windows are more effective than a mac. to me it more or less comes down to usability i have windows computers and macs at home my point is there both like swiss army knives multi tools .. personally i would like to be able to upgrade the cpu's and motherboards and still use that apple hardware those cases are actually rather nice.. for the mac pro.. hackintosh method would be the only way to do that .. though ..

[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]To those talking about Apple not wanting money / locking its software to their own hardware, its not about money. Apple is trying to protect its brand image. It sells stylish case's and its products are instantly recognized as "cliq" similar to designer hand bags and clothing. In their eyes a PC isn't a user tool or device, its an accessory. A bunch of vanilla PC's running around that functioned like a real Mac cheapens their logo and image and makes their branded customers look like fools (because there is no real functional difference between a hackintosh and a purchased Mac). Basically their branded customers start to feel cheated because their no longer special butterfly's who have their own special club for the "cool kids".Because your hackintosh does not look like a a real iMac but functions the same, it therefor lowers the perceived value of real iMac's everywhere else. And if anyone can get the benefits of OSX (whatever they may be) without having to own up and pay homage to the iLife faith, then that circumvents their biggest customer incentive.[/citation]

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I have an Idea ... A new EULA...
"The purchaser of said software is able to run on any system he/she sees fit to install. If the hard ware has not been "blessed" ( ie sanctioned to run on hardware intended for this software - eg "Hackintosh") by the manufacture all warranties herein are null and void until such proof is sufficient that software intended for said hardware is present."

Hmmm ... I will send Apple, Sony, and Microsoft the bill for coming up with a 1 paragraph EULA that would put this issue to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.