Confirmed: Windows 8 Coming to Smaller Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
you mean smaller devices that have smaller drive space? Yeah, this is going to work out great for them. If they use the Intel chip and bring the OS under control, 2 GB installed TOPS! i might be remotely interested until then. Moving on, nothing to see here. Why MS decided to that it was a good idea to make their OS so huge on a tablet is beyond me. Some of the greatest deveolpers work for MS and they still cant manage to shrink it down, only having 23 GB of 64 GB available is a joke and one nobody is laughing at.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

I think your missing the bigger picture. Putting Windows 8 on smaller devices helps them lower the price point which if they can reach the $200 price point it will in fact, greatly, help sales.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Wait! I know how to fix the problem! New Coke in regular sized cans was a disaster, right? So let's try smaller cans! Smaller cans should make people love New Coke! Right?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i think those commenting about drive space requirements for the desktop version of windows have never dealt with Microsoft's embedded versions of the same OSes that are substantially lighter and actually very modular (most of the bloat is completely stripped away and allows you to add-on whatever is missing as you go). i work with HP thin clients using WinXP and Win7 embedded and my system images are 2-3gb with MS Office Pro Plus 2010. makes you wonder why they can't make the desktop version the same way, modular at least.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Wait! I know how to fix the problem! New Coke in regular sized cans was a disaster, right? So let's try smaller cans! Smaller cans should make people love New Coke! Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.