[SOLVED] Conflicting Advice on OEM PSU's

Sep 14, 2020
Hi,

I've been looking to swap out my Dell XPS8910's OEM Nvidia GTX745 4GB card, currently with an Intel i7 6700, 8GB ram and 2tb HDD+ 32gb SSD.
I'm considering purchasing a 1660TI, with a 450W recommendation (particularly Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC). However, as this is an OEM 460W PSU it may require more. I've been searching for an answer and some sources say it's fine and others says an upgrade is necessary. I don't game much and the GPU will not be stressed out for extended periods of time. Replacing the PSU is an additional cost i'd prefer not to spend, so would be very happy with a solid answer before making the decision.

Thank you to anyone with advice :).

Matt

Solution
Hey,

It's manufactured by Acbel Polytech.... just my luck!
Got off the phone from Dell support because I didn't want to get it out and open it again so they advised me there. Thanks so much for the continued support. Dell also advised me that if the PSU failed with my graphics card they'd replace it, so kind of a reassurance lol.

Then it's the one with the label I posted in my first comment.

As you can see its max power output on the 12V rails combined is 385W. Nowadays most of the components use the 12V rails mainly(such as the CPU and GPU). That means that it's not actually a 460W unit.... because the most power hungry components use only the 12V rails you might aswell say that it's only an old 385W PSU of modest quality...
Can you take a picture of the PSU label and post it here?
Should look like this:
c321b509-9533-4e17-bd0e-2183f7af7cc1_1.a5e3c4d746443a4031982da3d5d2446a.jpeg

Reactions: MattJM00
Hi,

I just opened the case up and had a quick look and there is no label to be seen... I might have to remove it further to take a picture so if it is 100% required I can do that.

I've attached everything in a link I saw that could be some help. View: https://imgur.com/a/RyrUEOy

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like me to do that may be able to help.

Thanks

You might need to take the PSU out of the case to take a picture of the label.

Also, does your PSU have a 6+2 pin PCIe connector? It looks like the one below:

AC-006-CNONAN-P1_a8bf56c4f1d747bdb1485a4e19a975a9.jpg

That 1660S requires an 8 pin PCIe connector.

Sep 14, 2020
Yep, it has a 6+2pin and a 6pin, checked it when I had a look.
The 1660SUPER Nemesia recommend sounds good and is much less money - especially if I don't have to upgrade the GPU.
Do you reckon the one I put up earlier would be a good choice with the 460w psu?

Yep, it has a 6+2pin and a 6pin, checked it when I had a look.
The 1660SUPER Nemesia recommend sounds good and is much less money - especially if I don't have to upgrade the GPU.
Do you reckon the one I put up earlier would be a good choice with the 460w psu?

Well that's why I asked about the label.
Dell shipped those systems with 460W PSUs made by different manufacturers.
They're manufactured by AcBel and Delta mainly.

I'd trust the Delta unit a whole lot more compared to the AcBel(their units are usually quite crappy). That's why seeing what the make and model of your PSU is important.

Sep 14, 2020
Hey,

Got off the phone from Dell support because I didn't want to get it out and open it again so they advised me there. Thanks so much for the continued support. Dell also advised me that if the PSU failed with my graphics card they'd replace it, so kind of a reassurance lol.

Hey,

Then it's the one with the label I posted in my first comment.

As you can see its max power output on the 12V rails combined is 385W. Nowadays most of the components use the 12V rails mainly(such as the CPU and GPU). That means that it's not actually a 460W unit.... because the most power hungry components use only the 12V rails you might aswell say that it's only an old 385W PSU of modest quality.

The thing is that if the PSU fails, it might take other components with it. So, if your PSU fails along with your GPU, for example, Dell will only replace the PSU.

Solution
Hey,

Unfortunately what the person did not tell you is that when a PSU fails and it's not a good one it can take your entire system with it.

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks for the help.
The only thing the agent did say however is that a non-Dell PSU wouldn't fit in the PC and that some leads may not work because most of the internals are proprietary. Does this seem realistic?
Would you guys also reccomend any PSU that would perform well without breaking the bank if it is possible to upgrade?

8910 PSU picture attached for reference View: https://imgur.com/a/nnMle68

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Contact Dell again and see if they have a upgrade psu for your system? They make several interchangable ones.

There may be YouTube videos on using standard PSUs in your dell, You may need to purchase an adapter or make your own adapter. It's not as hard as it sounds and videos can show you firsthand how to do it.

Since Michael Dell bought his company back and took it off the stock exchange, they are using fewer proprietary parts. So it may be fully compatible. Just look it up and make sure they are exact same parts.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the help.
The only thing the agent did say however is that a non-Dell PSU wouldn't fit in the PC and that some leads may not work because most of the internals are proprietary. Does this seem realistic?
Would you guys also reccomend any PSU that would perform well without breaking the bank if it is possible to upgrade?

8910 PSU picture attached for reference View: https://imgur.com/a/nnMle68
Looks standard ATX form to me. Does the motherboard use a standard 24pin for the motherboard and a standard 8/4 pin for the cpu? If so should you be fine.

Only thing might be long cables that are in the way. Something (semi) modular might be a good choice.

Maybe even an SFX unit that comes with an ATX bracket, but these probably cost more than you want to spend. Then again some money was saved by using thet Super version of the gpu.

Sep 14, 2020
Other people have upgraded their XPS8910/20/30's with standard ATX power supplies and it has worked flawlessly - just not sure what the support guy was on about.
Amazon has a RM550x for a pretty good price for the quality so maybe that might be worth looking into. I think I just need to give it a go and hope it works lol.

Ploypheme - I just got your reply as I was writing this. This is the system board. Does it look standard to you? View: https://imgur.com/a/cJcLSR4

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks so much everyone. Thinking now of the RM550x (maybe will change decision because of size limitiations) with the Gigabyte 1660 SUPER.
I honestly don't see why it wouldn't work - and other users have reported that upgrading the psu works - so maybe the Dell technical support was being over protective (probably his job.)

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Looks standard ATX form to me. Does the motherboard use a standard 24pin for the motherboard and a standard 8/4 pin for the cpu? If so should you be fine.

Only thing might be long cables that are in the way. Something (semi) modular might be a good choice.

Maybe even an SFX unit that comes with an ATX bracket, but these probably cost more than you want to spend. Then again some money was saved by using thet Super version of the gpu.

Like I said, you need to test. I tried upgrading a Dell PSU once may years ago, and I plugged in a standard PSU and it wouldn't work. It turned out DELL REARRANGED SOME PIN ORDERS. At least it didn't fry anything. I bought a third party adapter and it worked fine.

Just spend a few minutes on YouTube on PSU replacement for your specific model. Problem solved.

If you do get an aftermarket PSU, make sure it is standard size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power...ions of an ATX power,vary from brand to brand.

Like I said, you need to test. I tried upgrading a Dell PSU once may years ago, and I plugged in a standard PSU and it wouldn't work. It turned out DELL REARRANGED SOME PIN ORDERS. At least it didn't fry anything. I bought a third party adapter and it worked fine.

Just spend a few minutes on YouTube on PSU replacement for your specific model. Problem solved.

If you do get an aftermarket PSU, make sure it is standard size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#:~:text=Dimensions of an ATX power,vary from brand to brand.

It's not the case with this board.
People have successfully swapped with standard ATX PSUs on these boards.

They use standard ATX connectors.... it's even specified in their motherboard layout presentation.

system board power connector (ATX_POWER)