Confused about connecting my GPU

EliseD2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
So my R9 270X has 2 6 pin plugs, I connected one of them to the PSU, and connected the other one to my rear case fan. Is this normal ? I've searched the internet and nobody seems to mention connecting GPU to the rear fan.

Solution
Correct, that is a molex connector that you can plug your fan directly into.

The fan will run at 100% all the time because molex doesn't support voltage regulation, but the fan will work just fine and that is the correct place to plug it in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, we're happy to help. :)
2 common choices:

1) Depending on what connector the fan has it can be plugged in directly to a motherboard FAN port

2) If the fan has a larger 4-pin MOLEX connector you can plug it directly into the PSU using a molex connection if your PSU has one (they usually do).

Molex looks like this:

iu

The fan connectors that can be plugged directly into the motherboard look like this:

iu

EliseD2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015

Oh okay thanks for your help. My fan has a 4-pin molex connector, and I found my PSU's molex connection.(I'm not sure though, will post a picture) I will connect them when I get my GPU back.
One last question though. I used my GPU for like 13 months with it being connected to the rear case fan. Was that harmful ? I fried my GPU just a few days ago.

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
the case fans should either connect to a fan header on the motherboard, a fan controller, or a fan splitter connected to a molex connector. not a pci-e/vga 6pin.

molex are the wide connectors coming from the psu with 4 fat pins in them. they are used to power extra components like fans, fan controllers, older drives, pump(watercooling), etc.

Correct, that is a molex connector that you can plug your fan directly into.

The fan will run at 100% all the time because molex doesn't support voltage regulation, but the fan will work just fine and that is the correct place to plug it in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, we're happy to help. :)

Solution

EliseD2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Ah, I forgot to ask. My PSU is 750W and it has only 1 6 pin connector. 270X has 2 6 pin plugs. Is it enough if I only connect 1 6 pin ? Do I need to fill the other slot ?

I'm afraid you'll need to upgrade your PSU then, it isn't recommended to use an adapter and the card really needs both PCIe slots filled to work correctly. :(

This would be a very good choice if you can afford a PSU in this price bracket and has all the PCIe connectors you need for the 270x:

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $47.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 11:14 EST-0500

EliseD2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015

Stratch that, I'm dumb rofl. It does have 2 connectors.
You are right, I really don't know how it took 13 months for it to get fried, wow. Thanks again.