Confused about Vsync on LCD Monitors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kamiri

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
whilst my dell is great it doesn't support that res. in fact regardless of what people say going higher is impossible on a lcd and the highest 24" screens like the dell goes is 1920 x 1200. i know some people claim to be able to set higher but it is impossible unless you can prove me wrong and saying i am ruuning it is noy proof.

if you mean 1440 x 900 thats o.k but id on't think you do. please clarify.

Sorry, I meant 1920x1200. Although it does go up to 2560x1600 in the settings tab, but then you only get a 1/4 of the screen to show lol.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Rofl, who are you trying to fool man? That monitor is $485 refurbished and $499 used. It says no where how much it is for a new one and I couldn't find anywhere that sells it new. It also has no mention of response time and only has a serial and BNC connectors. Plus it would take one hell of a desk to fit that beast on. When was that thing manufactured, the 80s or early 90s?

You had me all excited too (

uhh... response time? You are refering to the Trinitron that slava put up earlier? A crt does not have a "response time" like an lcd. Also, a crt is analog only, so there is only the one type of connection possible... not really sure what you are getting at there.

Also, up until about 2002 (maybe it was 2001) MaximumPC used a sony FD Trinitron as THE monitor for their yearly Dream Machine simply b/c no lcd could touch it. The only reason they have stopped is b/c they are no longer made. Sony has stopped their manufacture since. Used/refurb is the only way to get them now.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
One thing that I am suprised no one mentions is the eye strain that CRTs cause. When you switch to an LCD from CRT, you can never go back (I feel like the CRT is shooting painful rays directly into my eyeballs).

So if you work all day at work on a computer, and play CoH all night, you'll be glad you have an LCD and not a CRT.

Yeah, and if you sit too close to the TV, you'll go blind! 8O

:)

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
DiamondTron... is what I meant.

I know it is similar to Sony's Trinitron but is one better than the other?

I cannot claim that I've had a lot of experience with each and every type of CRT ever made, but IMO there has never been a better line of CRTs than Sony Trinitron.

I currently use a 21" Viewsonic 220fb

It is pretty good. When I bought it about 3 yeasr ago it was the best monitor I could find in my price range (I paid like US$550 for it on NewEgg). However, it is not nearly as good as the 21" Sony Trinitron I had had before the Viewsonic.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I also have a 19" Sony Trinitron Multiscan G400 at home. I do not use it because, well, once you go 21" you cannot go back to anything smaller. But overall the G400 is a much better monitor than my newer higher-end Viewsonic. Just to think that the G400 model is 5 years older than the 220fb is mind-boggling. The only thing I don't like about G400 is its OSD controls. It uses a single hat switch for navigation and it is very twitchy, so it's hard to get to he menu option you want. Weird that Sony would choose such a moronic OSD design.

Funny thing is that the Viewsonic is .21 and the Sony is .24 but the Trinitron screen just looks clearer, sharper, more precise and the geometry is perfect (not quite as perfect on the Viewsonic). Go figure.

digitalforce

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I did read any article that DiamondTron is practically Trinitron but uses an "all in one gun" vs a "three gun" system as the trinitron.

Strange.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
DiamondTron... is what I meant.

I know it is similar to Sony's Trinitron but is one better than the other?

diamondtron was the only other apeture-grill monitor besides trinitron. Mitsubishi made it. Aperture -grill (IMO) is the premier crt tech for any analog picture. Whether TVs or monitors, there is none better. (I also have a trinitron TV in my living room) While shadow mask (the type all other screens are) can provide a decent picture, it pales next to apeture-grill. Hence the price premium on diamondtron and trinitron screens. Not only is the pic crisp/cleaner, but the tubes were originally cut from a cylinder rather than a sphere (like all others) resulting in a "flatter" screen. Later they were "virtually" flat and many still are sold for HD setups. The tech was licensed to other companies, but regardless of maker it had to have the "tron" name on it. (Dell had many trinitrons)

They are both essentially the same quality.

edit: aparently viewsonic did make some aperture grill ones too, but not many.

kamiri

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
uhh... response time? You are refering to the Trinitron that slava put up earlier?

Hehe :twisted: I like your style, man. Very smooth and cruel. :claps:

Smooth, maybe. Cruel? I guess if you live in a world of puppy dogs and care bears.

Omit the error in my previous post and I still make my point. Who the hell would buy a used/refurb 5+ year old monitor?

"Rofl, who are you trying to fool man? That monitor is $485 refurbished and $499 used. It says no where how much it is for a new one and I couldn't find anywhere that sells it new. Plus it would take one hell of a desk to fit that beast on. When was that thing manufactured, the 80s or early 90s?

You had me all excited too ("

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts