Confused about Wireless Networking on PC (Wi-Fi), someone please explain to me

Jun 20, 2018
Ok, so maybe in a few years, I will get a pc in college (for doing projects with some editing softwares, and some gaming). It's not too overkill, just enough to run some video games and editing softwares. I've planned the pc build, and this is the build (Budget around $1000):

PC:

MBD: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
CPU: Intel i5 8600K
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Windforce OC 2GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Cooling:
Case Fans: Phanteks PH-F120SP and PH-F140SP
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate

Storage:
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM

Others:

Keyboard: Logitech K120
Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB
Headset: Astro A10
Monitor: LG 25UM57 25-Inch LED Monitor

That is all the PC Specs, and I'm missing one part, which is the Wi-Fi/WIreless Networking, and I'll need it for browsing and online gaming. I'm very confused what is all about this (Even though I've searched this topic on the internet, I still don't understand). So, these are the problems that confuse me:

Motherboards with built-in Wi-Fi and the ones that doesn't have built-in Wi-FI.

So, the ASUS PRIME Z370-A doesn't have a built-in Wi-Fi according to the specifications on the official ASUS website. For example, I have a Wireless Router, then can my desktop receive the Wi-Fi connection and go online in the internet by just joining the Wi-Fi? If not, then how? Do I need to buy something to connect to the Wireless Router?

I've searched some Wi-Fi cards and the results are that they have "antennas" and I know that I don't need to buy a Wireless Router to go online since the Wi-Fi Card already have the antennas. I'm also still confused with this, and the same as USB Wi-Fi Adapter that also have antennas.

Some questions:

Do I need a Wireless Router if I have a Wi-Fi card installed to my PC?

Can my PC have access to the internet if I plug-in a USB Wi-Fi adapter?

Is there such thing as a "Wi-Fi receiver" that I can install to the motherboard so that it can receive Wireless Connection from a wireless router/adapter to go online?

And for the motherboards with built-in Wi-Fi, do they already have access to the Internet without any Wireless Routers/Adapters?

I think that is all that confuse me. Please answer specifically so that I can understand. and if you have some suggestions on good cheap Wi-Fi cards/Wireless Adapter (with fast internet connection for online gaming and big files downloading under $50), please tell me.

Thank you so much :)

*sorry for bad english

USAFRet

Titan
The majority of desktop motherboards do NOT have WiFi built in.
You'd need a PCIe or USB WiFi adapter. Maybe $25.

Either built in WiFi, or a WiFi adapter, or the regular ethernet cable...they will need to connect to a router to access 'the internet'.

All WiFi adapters have an "antenna" Some of them are visible, some are just tiny things inside the USB adapter.
But they all have an antenna of some sort. This antenna talks to the router.

Jun 20, 2018

Ok, so if I have either a Wi-Fi card or a USB Wi-Fi adapter, I still need to buy a Wireless Router to have access to the Internet? That will be 2 devices.

USAFRet

Titan

What you need depends 100% on what the university networking is and how it is configured.

For instance, my sons college was 100% WiFi. All over.
The students did not need to buy a "router".

Other schools...ethernet jacks are provided in each dorm room.

Jun 20, 2018

I'm just a curious person, I like digital technology like computers, and I would like to know more about this

USAFRet

Titan

Right. Knowing about WiFi options is one thing. This is good.

Picking out a specific CPU for "a few years from now" is far, far too early.
If I were building a PC this Christmas...today is 'too early'.
Generally, 90 days is a good time span.

Jun 20, 2018

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll just leave the pc build like this until I'm about to go in college. And if things are already changing like better pc components with the same price as now, I'll just easily change it.

Anyways, thank you so much for your fast and detailed response :)