confused between motherboards and memory

countryboy1989

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
HI,
finally building a computer just for gaming after getting job. After Reading some review and forum post, i decided to go with this config, i5 3570, ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155, 16 GB DDR3 gskill memory, video card- not decided yet.

since i already bought a corsair 600D cabinet i have to choose M-ATX boards.
searched for z77 matx motherboards and found a asus product named maximus V gene. Is that good? its look sexier :p

Now the memory, i searched newegg for GSkill 8x2 16 GB memory modules and i found lots of results with different price tags and different MHz like 1600mhz 2133mhz or 2600mhz. really confused what to choose.

I'm only going to gaming and office project works on Microsoft office.

and if you can suggest any graphics card it would be very nice. budget: 320$-340$
and also a power supply compatible with my system. budget not more than 90$

KAIJER

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
1. The motherboards: You did a mistake, the asrock Z77 Extreme6 is an ATX motherboard. Looks like someone gave you wrong information. By The Way you can go with the max 5 G it’s a mATX and a decent gaming motherboard.

2. Memory: If you can afford 16GB 2133 DDR3 then go with that. If not, then buy 8GB 2133. No need to buy 16GB 1600 module. Always remember faster memory is always better than more memory.

3. Graphics card: for your budget Sapphire AMD 7950HD vapor-x is the best available option. Grab the newegg’s offer. They are giving Free Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Crysis 3 & Bioshock, with this card. It will keep you busy for at least 1 month. :lol:

4. Power Supply: your system will be ok with a 550w but a Corsair 650W will be better

EDITED:

link for sapphire hd7950- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

link for corsair power supply- linkhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

HAPPY GAMING!

countryboy1989

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks, Already asked too much question :p , last question about game offer. they are really giving all of those games for free? or i have to choose one of them?

max_payne

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
@KAIJER: Actually getting more memory is always better,anyone on the forum will tell you that.
The difference between memory speeds is barely noticeable, the max diff you'll get is around 3-4 fps and that's being optimistic.

@countryboy1989
For the motherboard get a ASrock Z77 Pro4-M,it saves you some cash.

As I told before get 8GB of 1600mhz memory,it saves some cash.Besides,8GB memory is more than enough for current and future games.

GPU:If you dont want those games then get a 7870XT,cheaper and very similar performance.

KAIJER

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
go back to where you came from. every body will suggest you to buy as much fast ram as you can afford IF YOU ARE A GAMER. More ram is better only for CS,Video editors and heavy multitaskrs.

asus maximus V gene, it's probably the best z77 micro atx board.

Yes 7870xt is nearly same only at <1080 resolution. its a 2 gigs. 7950 is a 3gigs. and we are talking about vapor-x edition card. Personally I'm using a vapor-x. More cooling performance, And its a overclocking beast. a overclocked 7950 vapor-x card can cross the stock performance of a 7970.

Dont confuse yourself and others.

KAIJER

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

no need to worry. you are building the best mid-high range gaming computer. there is a no need to look at the budget specs when you can afford best specs.

max_payne

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

As I told,Getting 8GB RAM is enough for games.The mistake you're making is suggesting higher speed memory.Tom's Hardware did an article on the same issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409.html
They found that higher memory speeds don't give performance increases in most games.Only Skyrim and F1 2012 showed slight improvements in frame DELAY.

About the mobo:The one I suggested offered more value,I never said that it had higher performance.

GPU:I don't recall countryboy1989 saying that he wanted to overclock.Besides,I only suggested a higher value card.

FYI: The parts I suggested aren't 'budget' parts,they're decent mid-range parts.

@countryboy1989: Don't worry if you've already ordered them,you're getting parts which offer high performance.

KAIJER

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Why this article? I don’t want to know which game is going to get higher fps because of a faster memory
It is not going to prove your MORE MEMORY IS BETTER THAN FASTER MEMORY (for a gamer) theory. Go and search the universe and show me something to support that!
Today there is no need to overclock a 7950. But after 2 years games will force you to do that! Or if you want to switch to a bigger display then you don’t have to bang your head against your keyboard just because you are getting <40fps. I’m not telling him to compromise with any parts just for buying a good card or higher speed RAM. HE HAS THE MONEY! Then why are you suggesting him lower performance specs!
I’m not a CHANGE SYSTEM EVERY YEAR theory believer. Maybe you are!

max_payne

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
@KAIJER:I never told that more RAM is better for games.I said that more RAM is better for OVERALL performance.Besides,faster memory isn't worth it for games.

GPU:Games after 2yrs will run just fine on both cards,(Unless you always want ultra high settings in your games.). Although you're right about the price part,it is recommended to upgrade your GPU every 2-3 yrs,So it's better to get a decent mid-range card than a high end one.FYI,Monitors are a long-term investment(At least for me). Also,I clearly told him that the GPU had SIMILAR performance,so it is up to him to decide which one to pick.