Question confused buying laptop , help me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm sorry
she might take it to university 1 or 2 days a week, it's not much
but! i don't want it to be too heavy like gaming laptops :(

(if i didn't respond good, please tell me exactly how should i explain)

What does wife personally say about it?

Give her something weighing say 5 pounds and ask her to carry it around for as long as she might walk with the laptop. 15 minutes?

Does she complain? No? Try 7 pounds.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
What does wife personally say about it?

Give her something weighing say 5 pounds and ask her to carry it around for as long as she might walk with the laptop. 15 minutes?

Does she complain? No? Try 7 pounds.
the ideapad i mentioned in first post is 1.66kg which is like 3.5 pounds, she weighed that and she was ok with that
i think 5 pounds is ok
anything about 5 pounds or less would be 100% ok for her

it's gonna be a gift , I can't ask her to weigh laptop and use it for somedays to see if it's heavy and then take it back to store :(

plz recommend me a laptop with higher resolution but lower spec than those laptop i mentioned
It doesn't normally work like that, you would normally get a higher resolution on a higher end laptop. Some laptops give you the ability to customise them but that's usually only on a small number of premium models.

14"
Lenovo Ideapad 5i Pro (Intel)
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-14ITL6/p/82L300KGUK
Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro (AMD, also has MX450)
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-14ACN6/p/82L70096UK

16"
IdeaPad 5 Pro Gen 6
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-14ACN6/p/82L70096UK

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
It doesn't normally work like that, you would normally get a higher resolution on a higher end laptop. Some laptops give you the ability to customise them but that's usually only on a small number of premium models.

14"
Lenovo Ideapad 5i Pro (Intel)
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-14ITL6/p/82L300KGUK
Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro (AMD, also has MX450)

16"
IdeaPad 5 Pro Gen 6
thanks but ideapad 5 pro laptops are expensive :(
they are 1000$ here while not pro series are about 800$

thanks but ideapad 5 pro laptops are expensive :(
They are, but they are currently a similar price to the Zenbook 14 in the UK. My two cents would be to not worry about Nvidia GPU's or screen resolutions above 1080p. They will add to the cost of the machine and limit your choices.

The Acer Swift 3 14" is a bit cheaper, if the 16GB version is available at an affordable price then that's a worthy contender in the 14" category.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
They are, but they are currently a similar price to the Zenbook 14 in the UK. My two cents would be to not worry about Nvidia GPU's or screen resolutions above 1080p. They will add to the cost of the machine and limit your choices.

The Acer Swift 3 14" is a bit cheaper, if the 16GB version is available at an affordable price then that's a worthy contender in the 14" category.
sadly it's unavailable

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020

now i found another option
Asus Vivobook 15 OLED k513EQ

screen quality is more important than gaming to me. so is this OLED better than ideapad 5 and Zenbook 14?
OLED's have exceptional contrast, the Vivobook display is going to be more impressive for watching movies and stuff like that than the other two. However it is likely to be less comfortable when used for long periods, this is due to the way the brightness is regulated.

I would typically expect the Zenbook and the Ideapad 5 to have a better chassis. May I ask for the exact model of the Zenbook 14 you were looking at?

how long? like how many hours?
Yes if it was used for working on 8 hours a day for example then the screen is likely to be less comfortable than the Zenbook.

so watching movies on OLED in long period of time is less comfortable than watching movies on IPS in long period of time?
I don't think you would have an issue watching a movie. It's more when working on the laptop all day. The issue is PWM brightness control, in the case of the OLED in the Vivobook the frequency is quite low at 60hz. This means that the screen is switching on and off up to 60 times per second to achieve a particular brightness level.

PWM at 60hz on an OLED panel is actually better for your eyes than 60hz on an IPS display because OLED's don't have a backlight and produce less blue light. However the Zenbook doesn't use PWM at all, therefore it would be more comfortable as a daily work machine.

How much this affects someone though is dependant on the individual. Some people aren't bothered by it but I know reviewers who don't use OLED panels for their work laptop because it gives them headaches.

Last edited:
I've heard that OLED screens face something called burn-in, so in like 5 years, will IPS screen health be better than OLED screen?
They do suffer from burn in yes, if a static image is displayed for too long the outline can become permanently imprinted on the screen. I believe this is heat related, so it's more of a problem at higher brightness levels. Asus does include software though that when enabled can mitigate the risk of these things. For example there's something called pixel shift, which periodically moves the image on the screen slightly, not enough to be apparent but to ensure the screen isn't constantly displaying the same image.

There's also a dark mode in Windows that helps. So white backgrounds are replaced with black meaning the pixels are turned off.

OLED has a wow factor you don't really get with other panel's but as with any technology it comes with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

It's difficult to comment on lifespan, it would depend on a number of factors. If I had to guess I would say the IPS panel will be longer lived. However I've never owned a laptop or monitor with an OLED panel to compare. I do have an IPS monitor that is nearly 10 years old that I still use daily.

Last edited: