Question Confused how to mount NZXT Kraken x72 correctly, please help.

Kenny427

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hello, so I installed my NZXT Kraken x72 the same way as this guy in this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoH-qbqFXw
Fast forward to 5:30 approx for the fan assembly.
But I am slightly confused, because the way its setup now the air blows up and out of the case, but isnt it supposed to blow through the radiatior to keep it cold? I never worked with AIO cooler before so I hope for some clarification on this.

Kenny427

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
In the top of a case like shown in the video it would generally be in an exhaust configuration. So you need to ensure that you have sufficient intake fans (front of the case) to provide airflow for the cooler to expel.

So what ur saying is the airflow would come in from the front, and not go out through the back of the case but on the top instead? Should I remove the back fan and put it on the front? I can order more fans too.

kanewolf

Titan
So what ur saying is the airflow would come in from the front, and not go out through the back of the case but on the top instead? Should I remove the back fan and put it on the front? I can order more fans too.
Yes, airflow is supposed to come in through the front and out through the back or top. The specific fans you have on the front and how fast they are spinning will determine what you need. But if you don't have two or three intake fans in the front, then you need to reevaluate your airflow management. You can test if you have enough intake airflow by monitoring your temps and then remove the side panel. If your temps drop several degrees, then you don't have enough inflow air.

Kenny427

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Yes, airflow is supposed to come in through the front and out through the back or top. The specific fans you have on the front and how fast they are spinning will determine what you need. But if you don't have two or three intake fans in the front, then you need to reevaluate your airflow management. You can test if you have enough intake airflow by monitoring your temps and then remove the side panel. If your temps drop several degrees, then you don't have enough inflow air.
So I have the Fractal Design Define R6 case, and it doenst really look like it has too much "space" for the air to go out the top, or am I just wrong? Its like fully covered. Thanks so much for the reply!