confused mom needs help please

Apr 3, 2018
so I brought my son a 2nd hand gaming pc for Christmas for him to play minecraft on he's only 9 so 1st pc. iv had no issues with it plays Minecraft no problem. for his 9th Birthday he asked for hello neighbour which we purchased and downloaded but it keeps switching the computer off everytime he starts to play he gets a little bit further then before and it stays on a bit longer everytime time but inevitably switches off. so thought we'd experiment and download some other free games we downloaded 3 free games 2 do the same thing switch the computer off and 1 works fine. please help I don't understand why and what we need to do to correct this. many thanks

Solution
That's not much to go on, but it sounds to me like you might have an overheating issue.
You'd have to check how clean the PC is (and graphics card) and even pull off the CPU heat-sink and fan, clean it up and re-seat using fresh thermal compound. You'd also want to make sure that ventilation is good so that air can flow through the system to provide cooling.
That's not much to go on, but it sounds to me like you might have an overheating issue.
You'd have to check how clean the PC is (and graphics card) and even pull off the CPU heat-sink and fan, clean it up and re-seat using fresh thermal compound. You'd also want to make sure that ventilation is good so that air can flow through the system to provide cooling.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd definitely agree with the simplest solution of checking for dust in the system, especially in the heatsinks for the graphics card, and for the cpu.

Are we correct in assuming this is a desktop or tower, and not a laptop? If it's a laptop, the same issue might exist, but opening it to clean it out is more difficult.

Apr 3, 2018
Thanks pps appreciate ur help I can't tell u what specifications it is or what temp it's running at I don't have a clue. So we found out that all the other games he has now work fine (turned proxy settings off ) this problem only happens with the hello.neighbour game so.im guessing it's something to do with the psu then. is there a particular type size requirement that is best for gaming?

USAFRet

Titan

Don't buy ANYTHING until you determine the actual issue.
It could be a lot of things.

Seeing as this is a second hand system, did you do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS? I'm thinking probably not.

Download CPU Z and run it. Post the specs here or a screenshot.

To check the PSU, open the side panel of the PC and the PSU tends to be towards the bottom of the PC in the corner. Model name tends to be written there. Perhaps you could try that and report back if you found anything.