[SOLVED] Confused on my 2700x workstation build

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
I'm planning to build a pc for photo editing and video editing. I'm not going to overclock the pc or use SLI but I want the best performance out of the system at stock settings. I'm going with the 2700x since its best CPU money can buy as of right now. I'm confused about whether I should go with B450 or x370 or x470. Does it make a change in performance at stock settings? Also, I would like to get 16gb ram at 3000mhz (RGB preferred), is that enough/how much ram speed does 2700x utilize?

Solution
I'm planning to build a pc for photo editing and video editing. I'm not going to overclock the pc or use SLI but I want the best performance out of the system at stock settings. I'm going with the 2700x since its best CPU money can buy as of right now. I'm confused about whether I should go with B450 or x370 or x470. Does it make a change in performance at stock settings? Also, I would like to get 16gb ram at 3000mhz (RGB preferred), is that enough/how much ram speed does 2700x utilize?

3700x is actually top of the crop for 8 cores/16 threads. But 2700x is an excellent value that is hard to beat.

The main difference between B450 (gen 2) and X370 (gen 1) and X470 (gen 2) is the number of PCIe lanes directly supported. The...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

I have a 2700X (See my Signature below and love it) and I went with the X470 platform just so I could be as current as was possible at the time. (July 2018) Personally, I would avoid the X370 board as you'll most likely have to flash the Bios to get the 2700X to work. I did when I received the X370 by mistake and the 2700x simply refused to work until after I flashed the Bios. Maybe I just got a bad board, but the X370 left a bad taste in my mouth as I had to buy a Gen 1 Ryzen (1200) just so I could flash the Bios. Even then, it was still buggy. Maybe someone else here has had better luck, but until they speak up, I'll say avoid the X370. I immediately returned it for a new X470 board and have had ZERO issues since. Possibly will have to do the same with the B450, unless otherwise stated on the box. While there are several B450 boards, I have been hearing good things about the B450 Tomahawk Max board if you choose to go that route.

Here is a brief outline on the differences between the chipsets.

As for RAM, I have a kit of 16GB g.skill FlareX DDR4-3200 and again, have had ZERO issues. My RAM has no RGB so...

Reactions: albygeo3

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Thank You for your reply, so you don't suggest me to go with x470 rather than the B450? Somebody told me RGB rams are bad/fake cause he opened one once and found two different types of sticks. It was bought brand new.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thank You for your reply, so you don't suggest me to go with x470 rather than the B450? Somebody told me RGB rams are bad/fake cause he opened one once and found two different types of sticks. It was bought brand new.

Couldn't answer about the RGB on different sticks of RAM. That sounds awfully shady if true. I wonder if that just happened to be a bad set that came from production & somehow slipped thru QA? Maybe they were made at 4:59pm on a Friday afternoon, just before quitting time. :) As for the x470, please note that I'm not advocating that only the X470 is good, it's just what I personally choose so that I could have the most features avail. at the time of purchase. While I have not used a mobo built on the B450, I've heard its very good. (cheaper too) Each chip has it's purposes. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want & how much $ you have to throw at your build. As seen in my sig below, there tends to be a very long time in between my upgrades so I wanted the best at the time because I knew it'd be a while before my next upgrade. lol..

Reactions: albygeo3

3700x is actually top of the crop for 8 cores/16 threads. But 2700x is an excellent value that is hard to beat.

The main difference between B450 (gen 2) and X370 (gen 1) and X470 (gen 2) is the number of PCIe lanes directly supported. The X370/X470 also typically support more power phases which is good for overclocking.

If you are building a basic system, with just a video card in the slots and 2, 3 drives, then B450 should do you fine. If you want lots of expansion or overclocking into the 120W+ range, then I would lean towards X470. I would also stick with gen 2 chip sets (B450/X470) as these have native support for 2700x. If you buy a X370 board there is no guarantee the BIOS has been updated to support the 2700x which is a second gen chip.

As a general rule of thumb anything above DDR4-3000 is wasted money on the Zen/Zen+ architecture. Memory doesn't really scale nearly as well as the Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) series. 16 Gigs (2x8 Gigs) is a good starting point for general computing and gaming. If you are doing serious video editing, 32 Gigs would be preferable (2x16 would be best in terms of speed, but you pay a premium for 16 Gig sticks)

Reactions: Mrgr74 and albygeo3
Solution
Sep 13, 2019
When I built an AMD system I went with the Gigabyte x370 mobo and Ryzen 3 2200g CPU. It ran good but when I upped to Ryzen 5 2600 I had weird problems that I couldn't pinpoint. The BIOS was up to date though so that wasn't it.

I replaced the mobo with the Asus Prime B450 mobo and a new PSU and all is well.

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015

The main difference between B450 (gen 2) and X370 (gen 1) and X470 (gen 2) is the number of PCIe lanes directly supported. The X370/X470 also typically support more power phases which is good for overclocking.

If you are building a basic system, with just a video card in the slots and 2, 3 drives, then B450 should do you fine. If you want lots of expansion or overclocking into the 120W+ range, then I would lean towards X470. I would also stick with gen 2 chip sets (B450/X470) as these have native support for 2700x. If you buy a X370 board there is no guarantee the BIOS has been updated to support the 2700x which is a second gen chip.

As a general rule of thumb anything above DDR4-3000 is wasted money on the Zen/Zen+ architecture. Memory doesn't really scale nearly as well as the Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) series. 16 Gigs (2x8 Gigs) is a good starting point for general computing and gaming. If you are doing serious video editing, 32 Gigs would be preferable (2x16 would be best in terms of speed, but you pay a premium for 16 Gig sticks)
Oh ok, I'll look into b450s and a good 3000mhz ram. Do you got a suggestion on B450(with heat spreaders)?