[SOLVED] Confused over a motherboard connector

Furzumz

Reputable
Sorry for all the questions lately, computer upgrading is a pain for me.

Anyway I was tracking down a new board and think I found one that could work (my options are limited due to clearance issues with a big tower cooler) but there's one snag; it has a 8 pin connector and then a separate 4 pin (circled in blue on the image below)

The board is a ASROCK b550 steel legend

My power supply only has a 8 pin connector if I'm reading it right. Am I unable to use this board without the extra 4 pin connector?

Someone in a amazon review said its supposedly for peripherals and they were able to get away with 8 pins until they upgraded to a more powerful GPU which started causing it to shut down.

Is there a molex adapter I could use for this or are adapters a big no no for such a thing?

If needed my specs are:
Ryzen 9 3900x processor
2070 super video card
Super Flower leadex 3 750w gold power supply
16GB (2x8) RAM

Not doing any manual overclocking or anything

SL5fJDK.png

Last edited:
Solution
That connector is the main feed for the cpu, even though it's considered supplemental, the same way the main feed for a gpu is the power plugs even though the motherboard is the primary supply through the slot.

Back in the day, it really was secondary/supplemental but with 12v taking over everything, it's now a dedicated cpu supply. 8 pins should be fine for that use, the extra 4 pins are only needed for extreme OC stability, not needed for a 3900x.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That connector is the main feed for the cpu, even though it's considered supplemental, the same way the main feed for a gpu is the power plugs even though the motherboard is the primary supply through the slot.

Back in the day, it really was secondary/supplemental but with 12v taking over everything, it's now a dedicated cpu supply. 8 pins should be fine for that use, the extra 4 pins are only needed for extreme OC stability, not needed for a 3900x.

Reactions: Furzumz
Solution