Confusing GPU/PSU Question.

BigC847

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
I decided to upgrade my GPU and picked up an XFX R9 280x. They recommend a 750w PSU. I've checked around and found out that the card shouldn't use much more than 300w. I have a Corsair CX600M PSU (plan on upgrading, but wont be able to afford a new PSU for a couple months)

3 questions:

1. Would my PSU get overloaded using this card for Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed Unity.....etc. @ 1080p? (Nothing is going to be overclocked and I don't multitask during gaming)

2. This power supply is modular and has 4 receptacles for the modular cables. I have ONE cable with TWO 6+2 pin connectors. The GPU uses one 6 pin and one 8 pin for its power. I have been told that they wouldn't have designed the cables that way if you weren't meant to use both connectors at the same time on one cable. XFX says use two seperate cables from the psu. I wanted your thoughts since I trust you all more than most random people on deh internets.

3. IF....I happened to draw more power than my PSU can put out, will I just burn out the PSU or can I cause serious damage to my computer components?

Budget PC I built:
Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo
AMD FX6300 Black CPU
Corsair CX600M PSU (Bronze Rated)
1 HDD
1 SSD
2 200mm Fans
2 120mm Fans
GPU Gigabyte HD 7790

Thank you so much!

Solution
you'll be fine. BUT the CX series is not well thought of for long term heavy use, some components are inferior, so plan to upgrade it, but it'll be fine for 9-12 months, so plan to upgrade in 6-9months to be safe.