Question Confusion over OTG cables

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I bought my first OTG cable from MicroCenter through the salesman. I explained to him what i needed it for and he recommended the cable i bought. It turned out that it was only good for connections to my Old Nexsus 7-2013, not my Nokia G 300 or my external hd.. It turned out I needed a OTG-C cable. Now i have been searching the web and see crazy prices from a $2.47 excluding tax and free shipping to $35 dollars. I just want a simple cable that would connect to my Nokia and eventually my external hd and of course my desktop. The low price i found was on Ebay and the feedback from these sellers were excellent, and the prices tempting. Probably, the tax for it would bring it up to around the $5 range, more than the selling price. I have bought products from Ebay in the past and have had no problems. How can i be sure, not merely looking at a picture if it would work with my devices?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You want a USB-C to Type USB dongle adapter?

I would say to avoid the really cheap ones as they will have skimped on the wire count or wire gauge as much as possible for cost reduction. You might find that it wouldn't support fast charging later and might not even support the full speed your devices are capable of.

Amazon basics has a decent reputation for price/performance/quality. Some of your name brands like Belkin as well.

I also say get something from Amazon from a reputable vendor rather than something cheap from eBay. It might work a few times, but then flake out after a while. I've found cheap USB-C cables/adapters to be finicky. Or you can get a USB-C based hub. You can plug in whatever you want from there.

However note that you can't plug in things that might take more power than a basic keyboard or thumb drive since the phone has to provide that power.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I also say get something from Amazon from a reputable vendor rather than something cheap from eBay. It might work a few times, but then flake out after a while. I've found cheap USB-C cables/adapters to be finicky. Or you can get a USB-C based hub. You can plug in whatever you want from there.

However note that you can't plug in things that might take more power than a basic keyboard or thumb drive since the phone has to provide that power.
As for those on Ebay, the feedback from buyers were most positive by the thousands. I also saw what are called converters. I am not a big 'transferer' of files, just want to move some photos or files to a usb drive or burn a dvd. I will not spend over $10 bucks.

of buyers.