[SOLVED] confusions on sata configuration

Apr 25, 2019
Do I need my motherboard, sata cable, and hdd all to support sata3 in order to have 6gbps? How do I find out if my motherboard supports sata3 in windows?

Solution
ok my motherboard supports sata3.
Is it that rare though to come across a 6gbps hard drive? I have a 50 dollar seagate barucuda hdd, which I think supports 6gbps(according to amazon)?
The physical hard drive, no matter if it says SATA III or SATA II, will not reach SATA III throughput.
Your drive may say 6gbps, but that is just for advertising and connectivity. It will not actually reach that speed.

Like a car with a 90mph top speed (the HDD), and a road with a 150mph speed limit (the SATA III).
The car cannot actually reach that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can see what driver is running the SATA controller, then look up the chip. Or just look up your motherboard directly.

Most SATA cables support 6gbps over short distances found in computers. You would have to look at the early SATA cables from the early 2000s to have any significant issues.

Yes, the hard drive will need to support SATA III, however, most hard drives are not capable of throughput higher than SATA II speeds. With the exception of short bursts from the cache until it is depleted. Takes an SSD to truly saturate a SATA III connection.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
How do I find out if my motherboard supports sata3 in windows?

you can look at the product page for the motherboard to see what it supports. same with the manual, that should also have the info.

but in general, yes, you would have to have a fast enough drive (it's not really a "support" thing but rather speed of the drive), fast enough cable, and fast enough port to get the full bandwidth. but as eximo noted, you'll not get anywhere close to 6 gb/s on a spinning hdd.

post your specs if you would like any more detailed info than this. can look things up and see what's up

USAFRet

Titan
ok my motherboard supports sata3.
Is it that rare though to come across a 6gbps hard drive? I have a 50 dollar seagate barucuda hdd, which I think supports 6gbps(according to amazon)?
The physical hard drive, no matter if it says SATA III or SATA II, will not reach SATA III throughput.
Your drive may say 6gbps, but that is just for advertising and connectivity. It will not actually reach that speed.

Like a car with a 90mph top speed (the HDD), and a road with a 150mph speed limit (the SATA III).
The car cannot actually reach that.

Solution