Question Connect a monitor to my laptop's VGA port or mini displayport ?

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I have a Lenovo thinkpad X240 which has a VGA port and a mini displayport.

Would like to connect an external monitor to one of these ports to act as an extension of current laptop display screen.

Not sure how to go about doing it. Ideally the solution won't entail purchase of additional hardware.

I have a Lenovo thinkpad X240 which has a VGA port and a mini displayport.

Would like to connect a display monitor to one of these ports to act as an extension of current laptop display screen.

Not sure how to go about doing it. Ideally the solution need not purchase additional hardware.
Power down and connect the display you intend to use. Power up and Windows should recognize it. Then you can go to display settings and set it up to be an extension of the laptop's display.

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Power down and connect the display you intend to use. Power up and Windows should recognize it. Then you can go to display settings and set it up to be an extension of the laptop's display.
May I ask, which is a better option to connect to VGA port or mini displayport ? need to get the relevant cable for connection, thanks

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Display port is more capable (higher resolution) than VGA so go with display port.
Thanks jay32267 for the needed info.
I wasn't sure if port on my laptop is actually a mini Displayport (as I googled for my laptop Lenovo X240, the specs says it comes with these port),
I am attaching an image of the ports, is the smallest port next to the USB port a mini Displayport ? for VGA port I am quite sure about it, as it has got 3 rows of 5 pins.

Thanks again.
Raymond
laptop-ports.jpeg

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
To the right of the USB is mini-display.....to the left is vga.
Thanks jay32267 for the answer.
I have connected the VGA ports (laptop and HP monitor) using the VGA cable that comes with the HP w1907 monitor.

However, the HP monitor flashes the identical image of my laptop for less than 3 seconds, then the entire screen blank off in darkness.

I powered OFF then ON again the HP monitor, and the same thing happen again

currently at Windows 10 settings, HP monitor is set to duplicate what is displayed on laptop display screen.

I remembered you mention about setting the resolution, but not sure how to set it.
HP resolution is 1440x900) while my laptop screen resolution is 1366x768

Has this blank off after 2 to 3 sec something to do with the difference in resolution between the HP monitor and laptop internal display screen ?

if so, how do I resolve it?
if not related, where possibly is causing the issue ?

Thanks
Raymond

I would definitely try Display Port if you can.
The problem may go away.
As far as the resolution...I'm not sure if the mismatched resolution is the problem.
I run two systems with two monitors each. One system...both monitors are at 1080p....the other...both at 4K.
You might try to set the resolution the same for both.
You can do this in Windows Display Settings.
It might work for you....but if it doesn't i would go with Display Port.

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Thanks jay32267 for the answer.
I have connected the VGA ports (laptop and HP monitor) using the VGA cable that comes with the HP w1907 monitor.

However, the HP monitor flashes the identical image of my laptop for less than 3 seconds, then the entire screen blank off in darkness.

I powered OFF then ON again the HP monitor, and the same thing happen again

currently at Windows 10 settings, HP monitor is set to duplicate what is displayed on laptop display screen.

I remembered you mention about setting the resolution, but not sure how to set it.
HP resolution is 1440x900) while my laptop screen resolution is 1366x768

Has this blank off after 2 to 3 sec something to do with the difference in resolution between the HP monitor and laptop internal display screen ?

if so, how do I resolve it?
if not related, where possibly is causing the issue ?

Thanks
Raymond
By chance, I pressed the <Menu> button on the HP w1907, somehow, the duplication of laptop screen works on HP monitor, however, there is a new issue, the HP monitor screen now has 3 vertical strips of grey color, 2 on the left half of the monitor, 1 appears near to the right edge of monitor, has this something to do with difference in resolution between the HP monitor and the laptop display screen ?

Thanks once again for the support.
HP-monitor-has-3-vertical-stripes.jpeg

raymondraymond1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I see this.
Go to display settings and try and make the resolution the same.
If that doesn't work....as I said...I would try display port.
Display port is better than VGA anway.
Thanks again for the reply, I have tried making the same resolution for both (1440x900) , the issue persists.

I took a picture of the HP monitor w1907 (this is an old monitor manufactured in 2008), at the back, besides the VGA port, there isn't a displayport or mini displayport, there is however a DVI port as shown in the picture below, so I would purchase online a cable with a mini displayport male to DVI male connector, hope this can resolve the issue.
HP-monitor-alternate-port-most-likely-a-DVI-port.jpeg