[SOLVED] Connect a mouse to Chromecast TV with a USB hub.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I want to use a mouse with my Chromecast with Google TV. The suggested way is to connect the mouse to a USB hub. Because there is only one USB type C port on the Chromecast. I need to connect the USB hub to the Chromecast. The mouse signal and the power will both come from the USB hub. My current USB hub does not have the Power delivery (PD) port . I am getting a 'low power ' error message. I was wondering if I can make a 'Y' connecting cable by splicing a USB cable with a female connector to the existing USB cable for the power block. This way the Chromecast can still get power from the power block and I can plug my USB hub to the female connector (the newly added leg). Will the mouse connect to the USB hub work ?
'

Solution
sure you can slice cable and add external power this way, but preferably you also want to add 100 µF electrolytic capacitor to smoothen voltage surges comming from external sources

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
sure you can slice cable and add external power this way, but preferably you also want to add 100 µF electrolytic capacitor to smoothen voltage surges comming from external sources
Thanks for the suggestion. Just to be sure, you mean I should add a 100 uf capacitor across the voltage wires (+ & -) before it hits the Chromecast Type C port. For my learning purpose, I am still using the power block and cable that come with the Chromecast. The added cable with USB female connector is just for connecting my USB hub for the mouse (or perhaps I can actually just plug the mouse to it). will the mouse or the hub cause any voltage surge?