Question Connect Huawei & Asus

Jul 22, 2019
I'm having trouble adding an Asus RT-AC86U to my network.

I have the following setup;
1. Huawei - HG659 - Modem connected to VDSL (Spark NZ) and connected to Asus (via Ethernet port 1)
2. Asus - RT-AC86U - Connected to Modem (via WAN Port) predominately providing house wifi
----------------

Huawei - 192.168.1.1
Asus - 172.16.0.1

I can get to the internet via the Huawei router when it's set up as a standalone router (with PPPOE configured) and computer attached to it.

I want to attach the AC86U to the HG659 to provide Wifi to the home, I've connected the LAN port on the HG659 to the WAN port on the AC86U, the documentation says the setup the AC86U with the WAN connection Type as PPPOE and add the Spark username and password, I've done this but no luck.

Questions;
1. Do I set the HG659 to Bridged Mode or leave it as PPP (IP routing)
2. On the Asus do I have to set up a static route?

Lutfij

Titan
After you get into the GUI for your router, see if under the WAN tab, you can set Automatic IP for your router and if that enables internet to your household. If you setup Static for the Asus router, you're going to have to input all the numbers in the fields you've got, which leads me to think that you don't have access to said numbers.

Jul 22, 2019
I have tried a number of options on the Asus Router, I have set:
  1. Automatic IP
  2. PPPOE, with the credentials for the ISP (this looks like a passthrough)
  3. A static IP
- In this scenario, I have added the following IP configuration;

I have also set up static routes on the ASUS as follows;
Metric 1
WAN (& LAN) port

Still no luck

If you only goal with the asus is to improve the wifi you need to run it as a AP. It likely has a AP mode but you can just set the lan IP to say 192.168.1.2 (make sure it outside the dhcp scope in the huawei), and connect using a LAN port.

You can leave the wifi radios on or off on the huawei. If they are in the same room I would turn off the huawei if they are in different rooms your devices "should" always connect to the best signal.