[SOLVED] Connect modem/router to switch via non direct connection using built in ethernet port

Sep 12, 2019
I've just moved into a house with many built in ethernet ports (at least one per room). I'm now trying to get Internet to them via my modem/router. The built in ports are all nicely labelled and there is a switch in the porch area with the same numbers. Sure enough, when I connect my modem /router in my study on first floor to built-in port 3 in the study wall, I'm able to connect via another ethernet cable to the core switch port labeled 3 and get Internet to my laptop. Good start!

Trouble is, how do I get Internet to the other parts of the switch and the house? When I plug into any other port of the switch, I don't get Internet - the same with all the other built in ports around the house. Only number 3 works.

I'm thinking the issue may be the non-direct connection to the switch (via built in port) . The previous owners had their modem /router directly connected to the switch in the same place via ethernet cable (but that would give terrible WiFi connection r to the rest of the house, so I didn't want to do that!). I thought I could do a recursive ethernet connection from port 3 of the switch to port 1 of the switch (apparently this has no corollary in the rest of the house) and see if this brings the other connections to life. Would this work? Are there any other techniques to try? Any /all help appreciated and apologies for my utter ignorance!

Solution
Chances are, that's no switch but just a patch panel. Yes, you could jumper a panel like that, just like a telephone operator would.

If it were a switch, then that would be a no-no because it would cause a traffic storm, which is why every modern switch has a loop detector which disables the port if such a configuration is detected.

If you want all the ports in the house to work, you would need to buy a switch with as many ports as that patch panel has, and that many cables as well.
Chances are, that's no switch but just a patch panel. Yes, you could jumper a panel like that, just like a telephone operator would.

If it were a switch, then that would be a no-no because it would cause a traffic storm, which is why every modern switch has a loop detector which disables the port if such a configuration is detected.

If you want all the ports in the house to work, you would need to buy a switch with as many ports as that patch panel has, and that many cables as well.

Solution