Question Connect POTS landline to computer and be able to make and receive phone calls using my computers headset/mic?

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Like the title says, I'm looking for a way to connect a POTS analog landline to my computer and be able to make and receive phone calls using my computers headset/mic? I'm wondering if it's possible and if so what hardware/software will I need to make this work?

Any input is much appreciated.

Reactions: HnyBear

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Those of us who used dial-up internet (way back in the day) did that all the time. All you need is a modem. The software to make the call is part of windows (well, it use to be ... haven't used it since windows 98).

You could use something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/USRobotics-56K-Pci-Express-Faxmodem/dp/B003Y49TO2
or
https://smile.amazon.com/External-Voice-Modem-Windows-Vista/dp/B077YBTC2J

Those are just examples and I don't endorse the products.

Everyone on Amazon is saying it won't let you make outgoing calls from your PC. Have you actually tried this? I don't want to waste time and money if it's not going to work.

That goes back a ways. I miss the old dialup days and connectivity sound of 28.8 modems in my early web days :) I didn't get stuck with AOL, but still have plenty of their CD coasters. Remember trying HTML to makes sites on Geocities, ect. Used Altavista, hotbot, ect. for search engines. Good ol' Netscape Navigator. Back on topic, this should work with your plans with a modem and proper driver support.

@HnyBear Ok ... Windows has completely killed all Telephony ... it's all about connecting to your cell phone now. I was able to get to get the modem to dial a number, but there was no talking. With the right software, I'm sure it would work, but said software is not easily found (I download 3 different programs, none worked).

Sorry boss ... this should be easy and if you were running an early version of windows it would, but I assume you are on 10 and with that it isn't.

voice.google.com ... I didn't try it, but it claims to be an alternative. Some kind of VoIP I assume. Worth checking out if you don't mind google recording everything you say.

Last edited:
Reactions: HnyBear

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have to use my landline for work. So I was hoping to use Windows 10 Dialer.exe with the hardware you suggested. Did you try using Dialer.exe? It's the default program that comes with Windows 10.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I was also going to comment about Telephony. A few years after Microsoft killed that off there were some paid programs that would make it work.
Beyond that you used to be able to use Google Voice/Hangouts to make phone calls but they have turned that to forwarding to your cell phone now.

I don't think there is a way to do this any more.