connect seagate external hard drive with USB to Att modem

AMoonShyne

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
HI, I'm not sure if I will even be able to put into the correct words what I am trying to do.

Have an ATT modem, has a USB port but is disabled and they say it can't be enabled.
I got a 4 tb Seagate external hard drive. I want this hard drive to be accessible via the home network.
Oh, I have an external network hard drive connected to the network that works well. It just how do I get my Seagate one to act the same?

I'm not sure which way to run. :/

Solution
No. A usb hub won't do any more than plugging the drive directly into one computer. This one just extends the the USB port to connect to an ethernet network. It is for computers without an ethernet port, such as many newer laptops.

If you want an NAS like network share, you will need a router with the ability to share the USB hard drive on your ethernet network.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Since you already have some sort of NAS box, check to see if it has a usable USB port. Some do. Otherwise, you will need to set up another router on the network to host the USB drive. Get an inexpensive router that has the feature and set it up as if you were using it as an access point, then turn off the wifi if it is not needed. The hard drive share should still be available the network.

AMoonShyne

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
So many choices and I'm not so clear on how to shop for what I'm looking for. When I do a search, does the following make sense to what I am trying to do?

ethernet router with 3.0 usb port

I apologize for the lack of knowledge in my brain. :/

AMoonShyne

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Found this at amazon.com

SIIG 3.0 Port USB LAN Hub Type-A Female with RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet Port and USB Type-C to Type-A Adapter (JU-H30312-S1) - Red

Would this work?

Side question: can I do the connection into a hub?

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
No. A usb hub won't do any more than plugging the drive directly into one computer. This one just extends the the USB port to connect to an ethernet network. It is for computers without an ethernet port, such as many newer laptops.

If you want an NAS like network share, you will need a router with the ability to share the USB hard drive on your ethernet network.

Solution