Connect to external server via internet and access files

Oct 1, 2018
I have a server running Windows Server 2012 which is behind a router. I want to be able to access the shared folder and files at home on my PC running Windows 10.

I have tried a few things but they didn't seem to work (don't have a networking background). After a bit of research I have seen that a VPN (using Windows Server 2012 built in VPN feature) might be the best way to do this but I don't know what i should specifically change to get from setting up a VPN Server to then being able to access it from home via the internet. Any help greatly appreciated.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This is "as easy" as setting up an IP updater and opening some ports, technically.

In some cases you have to pay your ISP to open ports according to the router you are using.

Transferring any files that are copyright protected like movies and music will be shut down or throttled.

I suggest looking into Dropbox or Google Drive unless it's just a boatload of info. Way easier and far more secure from a data loss level.

The simplest way is to use something like team viewer they let you use it free for personal use.

VPN can be tricky to get to work but your best option is to load what is called openvpn on your server. They key problem is going to be you must have a public ip address and have some function like dyndns so you know what that ip is when you are remote.