Connect TV by HDMI via Motherboard

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello all,
Currently I have 3 monitors all working fine from NVIDIA GTX 980 board using 1 x HDMI and 2 x DVI
I have a TV that works but we have no free to air TV in Australia anymore. I can connect this to the Motherboard with a HDMI cable.
But I'm not sure if this will work; is it possible?
And if so, where to start looking for correct settings?
Thanks, John

Deus Vu1t

Honorable
May 19, 2017
What do you mean? The PC will work with the TV if you connect it to the motherboard, provided the Mobo/CPU has integrated graphics, but if it wont be connected to the GPU, you cant utilize its power
Did that help?

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I did connect it to the Motherboard, didn't I mention that in the title?

It's top end desktop but I can only assume it has integrated graphics as you mention, do you need more specs?

What I am looking for is what settings to check, I only do the right click on desktop and Display Settings and Detect but don't see it.

Also I checked Device Manager and looked for it but nothing.

Thanks, for help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As said above, the cpu must support integrated graphics. The integrated graphics can be toggled on or off in the bios if the motherboard has automatically disabled it after detecting the GTX980. The PC should be no different than a console other than possibly adjusting the Hz or colour format to rgb if the display isn't shown right.

I'm assuming your TV doesn't have a digital tuner? Australia has moved away from analog TV broadcasting.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Your title seems more like a question how it is phrased (Connect)

Yes, specs would be nice thanks.

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Well, that is the question, not so much can it be connected, but rather will it work and how to get it working?

On the TV, I set the source to HDMI 2 - there are 3 HDMI ports & cable is in center of those, I did try the others also.

As you can see, I'm not that computer savvy, so it can output graphics on both the card & motherboard at the same time?

Here are the specs, ASUS Maximus, that's it, Windows 10 did the big update a few days ago

1 x Integrated Sound Card
1 x 120mm Fractal Design Silent Series Case Fan
1 x Mouse Included in Desktop Peripherals Pack
2 x 24" ASUS VE248H LED Monitor with Speakers
1 x 750 Watt Corsair RM750 80 PLUS Gold CP-9020055-NA Modular Power Supply
1 x Zalman ZM-MP1000S Gaming Mouse Pad SAVE $10
1 x 2TB Seagate 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s NAS HDD ST2000VN000
1 x Logitech MX800 Wireless Performance Keyboard and Mouse PN 920-006244 SAVE $30
1 x Razer USB Kraken 7.1 Chroma Gaming Headset with Microphone
1 x Fractal Design ATX Define R5 USB 3.0 Case Black (No PSU)
1 x 500GB Samsung 2.5" 850 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s SSD Drive PN MZ-75E500BW
1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM DVD PN FQC-08929
1 x Intel S1151 Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz Quad Core CPU (No Heatsink Included)
1 x ASUS S1151 ATX Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard
1 x Corsair H110i GTX Hydro CW-9060020-WW Extreme Performance CPU Cooler
1 x 32GB DDR4 Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2666C15 (4x8G) 2666MHz Vengeance LPX BLACK RAM
1 x Gigabyte GTX980Ti 6GB Gaming PCIe Video Card PN GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
And further to problem solve, I took the HDMI from the 27" monitor and plugged it into TV port HDMI 3 and that works on the screen, so it connects & works from the video card.

Do you see my problem?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu supports integrated.

In your bios, under advanced\System agent\Graphics configuration - look for igpu multi monitor and enable it.

Primary display leave it as auto or peg. Peg is your 980ti, igfx is integrated. Auto option will default to the gpu (980ti) if present.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
attachment.php

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes enter bios at boot (start up) not following a restart as sometimes restarting can skip that part to enter bios. Press delete key or F1 when the message what to press appears.

Displayport is a different plug so make sure your monitor's supports displayport before going this route, but if you can, running 4 monitors off the gpu would be better but you shouldn't need to though if you enable igpu multi monitor.

Displayport being superior in higher resolutions/refresh rates, the quality in the digital signal is equal to hdmi.

The_Snowman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Thanks for the help, I think I will get the cables tomorrow, seems the best solution and everything will be from the card I paid so much for, make it do it's job, right?

I just get into too much trouble when I start changing settings, for example, I hate it when Windows does updates and I have to re-install the Nvidia drivers, take me hours to get back to normal, argh!!!!