[SOLVED] Connect two external monitors to laptop with one HDMI port

Dave421

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
My laptop has only 1 HDMI port and my monitors only have a HDMI and DP ports. I can connect 1 monitor no problem, but not the other one because there are no more ports available on the laptop, except for the USB 3.0 port. By searching online I came to a conclusion that I need to get HDMI to USB 3.0 adapter (even though it's not ideal). My question is - I want to find a cheaper option, so could I buy a USB 3.0 to VGA, connect the USB 3.0 to the laptop and the VGA to a "VGA to HDMI adapter" and connect that to the monitor.
This comes out cheaper than buying straight USB 3.0 to HDMI , but I'm not sure this will work if I use that VGA to HDMI adapter on top of USB 3.0 to VGA adapter. I was hoping I could get this combo, a "ICY BOX IB-AC507 USB 3.0 to VGA Adapter" + some random cheap VGA to HDMI adapter.

Solution
My laptop has only 1 HDMI port and my monitors only have a HDMI and DP ports. I can connect 1 monitor no problem, but not the other one because there are no more ports available on the laptop, except for the USB 3.0 port. By searching online I came to a conclusion that I need to get HDMI to USB 3.0 adapter (even though it's not ideal). My question is - I want to find a cheaper option, so could I buy a USB 3.0 to VGA, connect the USB 3.0 to the laptop and the VGA to a "VGA to HDMI adapter" and connect that to the monitor.
This comes out cheaper than buying straight USB 3.0 to HDMI , but I'm not sure this will work if I use that VGA to HDMI adapter on top of USB 3.0 to VGA adapter. I was hoping I could get this combo, a "ICY BOX...

kanewolf

Titan
This comes out cheaper than buying straight USB 3.0 to HDMI , but I'm not sure this will work if I use that VGA to HDMI adapter on top of USB 3.0 to VGA adapter. I was hoping I could get this combo, a "ICY BOX IB-AC507 USB 3.0 to VGA Adapter" + some random cheap VGA to HDMI adapter.
It might be cheaper but it will be less reliable and have poorer picture quality. You want the least number of conversions. Very few adapters are VGA in and HDMI out. Most are the other way around.
That ICY Box adapter is 19 pounds on amazon.uk -- There are USB 3 to HDMI that are the same price.
Don't kludge and hope it will work, because there is a good probability that it won't.

Solution