Connected to Linksys router, but no internet connection

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I bought a linksys router a couple of days ago, a Linksys EA6900. I read good reviews about this router, but I'm having a lot of problems setting it up.

All devices are able to connect to the wireless network without a problem. The issue is that some devices are not able to get internet access.

In my network I have mostly wireless devices:
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
iMac
2x iPad 2
2x iPad 4
Asus TF700T
HTC One
iPhone 5
2x iPhone 3GS
Apple TV

My only device connected physically directly to the router is my self assembled Windows PC.

Here is what happened: First time I tried to get the router to work, some devices had internet, and some didn't. Some of the iPads didn't have internet connections, and some did, and then all other devices seemed to work just fine. Then I tried to restore the router to factory default settings, as nothing seemed to work. This caused the iPads to work, but then my Windows PC, which is connected through LAN, didn't have internet access, which I found odd.

So I repeated this process, and tried to downgrade my router's firmware, as I read on some forums that the new firmware has issues. Nevertheless, the problem is still occurring. Tried contacting Linksys support, but that was no help. It seemed like they had no idea what they were doing.

I finally got all the devices on the network to work, and everything was smooth for two days, until just now when I found out my phone (the HTC One) lost internet connection. Tried everything once again, but still no success.

Any solutions to this problem? Perhaps get a different brand router? This is the first time I got a linksys router, but so far it seems like a pretty bad brand, but this is just my first router from them. I have previously only owned Sitecom routers, which I really did not like either.

Edit: Just reboot my router for the fourth time, and my phone seems to have internet connection now. Still don't trust if it will work for the upcoming days

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014
You may be getting some IP conflicts, where more than one device is being assigned the same IP address by the DHCP server. Used to happen to me with my old Netgear router. Have you tried giving each device a static IP address?

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the late reply. I had exam week at school, but the problem still remains. I don't think it is a DHCP problem, as I can check the IP addresses of the devices on the network, and they all have their unique IP addresses. I tried changing the range of IP addresses assigned to devices, and tried to switch to static, but that seemed to kick everyone off the network. I had to do many resets on the router so far. Some of the devices on the network still don't work.

My phone, the HTC One, still does not have internet connection. I try forgetting the network, try kicking it off of the router device list and reconnecting, try rebooting both the HTC One and router, try using WPS to connect. Nothing seems to work.

I contacted Linksys support, but they were no help at all, giving useless tips and guiding me through steps to change certain settings in my router, such as the channel my router was on. This obviously had no affect on whether my devices could connect or not.

I'm still trying to reset the router settings once in a while, but I am surprised no one else found this an issue with this router. The reviews I read were pretty good, but I still have no success with the router. Do most routers have this problem, and I just have never experienced it before?

Uknowme

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

I am getting the same problem with my router of a different brand. I would have before I go to bed and in the morning, I have full strength but not internet access on all mu devices. I have to unplug the router, plug it in and the problem is solved for a couple of days. Very frustrating!

envirobad

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, and did a full update/re-setting of my network...iphone that was there during the setup up works fine, but Ipad that came 2 days later can not just get any internet...they connect well to the wi-fi network, but no data passes! It is so frustrating. I can get some internet connecting to the network using the guess network, but this mut be redone each time you get out of the network, which happens everyday.. still looking for a solution. The situation is frustrating, especially that the critics about Linksys are awesome...those are really about the best routers currently on the market..

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Well, I never got the issue fixed. Linksys never helped me and I am extremely disappointed with the router. I'm just stuck here with this router that leaves a bunch of devices disconnected. My parents even gave up and decided they will only use the internet on their desktops, and leave their laptops disconnected from the internet at home, because it's not working. It's very frustrating.

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I recently tried to figure out what the issue was. I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. I noticed that my ip address was not 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, but 10.205.47.45. I never touched. I decided to do another router reset, and this changed it back to 192.168.1.1.

This was still a problem for some devices, as they still tried to assign an ip of 192.168.0.xxx instead of 192.168.1.xxx, so I changed it manually to 192.168.0.1 and this fixed it. All devices had to reconnect, but it works now.

So for anyone else trying to find a solution to this problem, that's what I did.

For other linksys smart wifi users, go to "connectivity" and then to the "local network" tab. Hit the "edit" button next to the "Router Details" section on the left of the screen, and change whatever IP you have there to "192.168.0.1" and make sure under "DHCP Server" on the right of the screen that the Start IP address is also the same.

Good luck!