Connecting 2.5" SATA Disk to Desktop Internal SATA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very old thread, normally not posted to - as the OP has probably forgot about and has resolved his issue.

I'm only providing an input to clarify INCase someone hapens to read.

"Voltage goes up, current goes down"
This is only true if the Power used by the circuitry has a constant power consumption (P=IE). P=constant, then If E increases 10% then I would decrease 10% (real life if E (the change) increases 10 % then I would only decrease (bailpark) say 8%
In a resistive cuircit, Current would Go UP, not Down ( I = E/R)

"current goes up, voltage goes down"
Only in a unregulated PSU (excluding the Effiency of regulation)
External to the PSU. If current has increased then the load Resistance (Impeadance) must have decreased. That component, If in series with a second component will have a lower Voltage drop, BUT the other component in series will show an INCREASED voltage drop. This is true upto the point of exceeding the Current rating of the PSU.

"When you observe a power supply it has 2 ratings, in most cases.
1) Voltage 2) Amperage
This means that the power device is designed to send exactly that! Nothing more, nothing less"

If you are refering to a PSU As a "load" does not "send" it consumes power. And it can be variable, as an example a GPU in 2 D mode switching to 3D mode.
For PSUs, The voltage is the regulated voltage between the designed min/max current Ratings (Most PSUs do not list min, But with the exception of Shunt regulated PSUs there is a min current level. Example: For series regulated, the output would increase to the Max rectified Voltage which is always higher than the regulated Voltage. Old switching PSU would normally self destruct with no load - Newer designs incorporate a internal resistance so that the "Min" load is placed on the output. Shunt regulated can regulate the output even with no load, but have a problem with high loads. This occures when the ouput load current increases the IR drop accross the internal series resitor to the point that the output voltage is less than the shunt regulators voltage rating (ie for a 12 Volt zenor to regulate the voltage cannot drop below 12 V accross it, For the "OLD" VR tumes this was the deionizing voltage.
So Amperage is ONLY the max rated value - the Amperage drawin will always be equal to, and in vast majority of cases will be less.

I'm also a certified ET, My number was 76 (76th person in the state (ILL) to pass the test).

Venom_geach

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Using a notebook IDE drive to convert to sata or an sata to ide.. DOES NOT MATTER! Eletronics do a simple thing called leech prossessssss :) they take what they need.... nothing more! DO NOT PUT AC vs DC Big diff from 120v 240v amps are the cause besides watts not volts :) all computers are DC! not AC! this is old post but to many ppl talking like they know. almost every post on here is WRONG! using an sata or IDE drive from a notebook into a tower is NO PROB!!!! if u cant find the drive your bios is not correctly set or u have a i386 on the notebook drive u need to right click my computer and manage - disc drives. then right click your drive u want formated and delete partition then make new drive :) good day. 16 years gaming = 15 years TECH :p

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I would like to say that i use USB to Sata/IDE/floppy connector kit with external psu from VANTEC on the Egg on a nearly weekly basis shuffeling around 2-3 drives(not good for pins i know). To remedy this issue for using the molex to sata adapters, I simply aquired a second molex to sata and removed the yellow 12v wire. I use these two cables based on the HDD being worked on. In ~ 9 month's ive only had one issue with this method.

(issue) The third (<counting 1 Black 2 red 3 black 4 <non present yellow> counting straight across) wire which is a second ground came loose on the molex end and was not making contact and oddly fried my small laptop drive. The issue was figured out quickly on inspection of the wiring. That mistake has been further prevented by packing a minimal amount of Hot Glue into the pin slot with a small tipped Glue Gun. Since this improvement has been made I have yet to encounter any other issues.

The Cable that I modified with the removal of the 12v(yellow) wire is the Aprevia brand (was on sale for 1.99 with free shipping at the time

Aprevia Modified Cable on "The EGG" is ITEM NUMBER - N82E16812201002
The Vantec model on "the EGG" that I have been using is ITEM NUMBER - N82E16812232002

g16studios

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

In simple terms, current is always as per equipment requirement (however there is a limit), it will draw or consume current (mA). but Voltage (potential difference or Volts) is supplied to the equipment as per it's requirement or design, Therefore you can not give 12V to an equipment that is design to work with 5V, it will burn or will damage immediately 100%, if you go still deeper it's a simple formula V=IxR, where all three are flexible, but this does not work on electronics or microchip based circuits. One more important point is that for 5V you can supply 6 or 7 Volts and it may deal with it, but 12 is little higher and dangerous for HDD, The exception to this is some special equipment designed to run on multiple voltages and adjust automatically like - Power adapter for Mac Mini - it excepts 110 to 250 Volts and still maintains the output constant.

power_light2000

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
How to Install Laptop Hard Drive to Desktop Computer

There are two possible procedures to connect your laptop hard drive to your desktop computer. The first procedure may be done by connecting the laptop hard drive internally via a 2.5” to 3.5” Integrated Drive Electronics “IDE” Interface or Serial Attachment “SATA” interface adapter converter. The second way is by externally connecting your hard drive by the use of IDE or SATA interface enclosure via Universal Serial Bus “USB” cable.

Materials Needed:
- Laptop and Desktop computer
- IDE/SATA hard drive enclosure
- 2.5” to 3.5” IDE/SATA hard disk adapter converter
- USB cable
- IDE cable
- screw driver.

Step 1

Turn off your laptop and remove the battery of the laptop then unscrew the cover where the hard drive is located. Remove the hard drive from your laptop.

Step 2

Check the laptop hard drive if the interface is 'IDE' or 'SATA' interface. If you are using the IDE or SATA interface enclosure via Universal Serial Bus cable, follow Steps 3 to step 4. Follow steps 8 to step 7 if you are using 2.5' to 3.5 IDE/SATA interface adapter converter.

Step 3

Open the cover of the IDE/SATA Enclosure and connect the laptop hard drive to the enclosure adapter. Put the laptop hard drive in the IDE/SATA enclosure. Firmly connect the enclosure adapter to the hard drive. Close the cover of the IDE/SATA enclosure and secure it with screws for safety. Connect the USB cable in the enclosure.

Step 4

The Enclosure is a plug-and-play device. Now, you may connect it to the USB port on the desktop computer and other laptops. Turn off the desktop computer before opening the CPU cover.

Step 5

Attach the 2.5' to 3.5' IDE/SATA hard disk adapter converter to the laptop hard drive. Make sure that the connected laptop hard disk to the converter adapter is firmly connected. Connect the 4-pin peripheral power connector, usually called 'Moldex' connector to the 2.5' to 3.5' IDE/SATA hard disk adapter converter.

Step 6

Connect the IDE/SATA adapter cable to the motherboard’s IDE connector or SATA connector. Place the laptop hard disk with adapter converter inside the desktop computer and screw it tightly.

Step 7

Connect the power cable to the desktop computer. Check the laptop hard drive using basic input /output system 'BIOS'. The BIOS function is to detect, test, and initialize system device like hard drive, floppy drive, and integrated video/sound/network interface card. Now, you can access your files or data in your laptop drive in your desktop computer.

source : http://www.liutilities.com/how-to/install-laptop-hard-drive-to-desktop-computer/
an Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.