[SOLVED] Connecting 2 SSD with only 1 cable attached to the monitor, possible?

ellis1469

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi,
I'm a beginner to computer so apologies to my language in advance.
My first SSD is installed through the SATA cable (the one that comes with the power supply, multiple connectors and usually referred as the bigger "L" I think) and the other cable that connects it to the motherboard, thus, 2 connectors to my one SSD.
I purchased a second SSD because I needed more space and was wondering if connecting that second SSD with one of the multiple connectors from the power supply would be enough?
Therefore, not needing a link between my second SSD and motherboard because I only have one cable and that it's connected to my initial first SSD.

Thank you.

Solution
You have one cable from the power supply unit (PSU) to the SSD that provides power to the unit. The second cable connects to the motherboard and that is how it sends and receives data to/from the processor.

You must also have 2 cables for your second SSD, 1 for power and one for data. You will have to buy a data cable or the second SSD or it will have no means to send/receive data.
You have one cable from the power supply unit (PSU) to the SSD that provides power to the unit. The second cable connects to the motherboard and that is how it sends and receives data to/from the processor.

You must also have 2 cables for your second SSD, 1 for power and one for data. You will have to buy a data cable or the second SSD or it will have no means to send/receive data.

Reactions: ellis1469
Solution

ellis1469

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018

Yeah, thank you.
I figured that was the problem because of it couldn't detect the SSD. Sucks, thought it would be possible to connect my second SSD only with the power cable.
Thanks again