Question Connecting 5.1 speakers to a laptop

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Hi, I have a logitech z906 and z5500 5.1 systems. both the systems have built in control pods. The Z-5500 Digital's control module incorporates Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS, and DTS 96/24 processing. the problem is i dont have a way of connecting these to my laptop as they dont have a hdmi port. the z5500 has a 6 channel analog, spdif and coaxial. at the moment i can only use them as a 2.1 system. but how can i get a the 5.1 system to work as i only have a a single 3.5mm jack, usb type c , usb 3.0 and hdmi port on my laptop. the z5500 has a proper decoder built in which i have previously used with my pc before selling it and investing in a laptop due to moving to another place. i wanna be able to use all the effects of the z5500 or even the z906. it has stereo x2 and even dolby prologic 2 movie, music which used all the 5 speakers for listening to music or watching a movie.

Any idea how i can use these speakers and still obtain true 5,1 surround sound. NOT VIRTUAL. thank you

Hi, I have a logitech z906 and z5500 5.1 systems. both the systems have built in control pods. The Z-5500 Digital's control module incorporates Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS, and DTS 96/24 processing. the problem is i dont have a way of connecting these to my laptop as they dont have a hdmi port. the z5500 has a 6 channel analog, spdif and coaxial. at the moment i can only use them as a 2.1 system. but how can i get a the 5.1 system to work as i only have a a single 3.5mm jack, usb type c , usb 3.0 and hdmi port on my laptop. the z5500 has a proper decoder built in which i have previously used with my pc before selling it and investing in a laptop due to moving to another place. i wanna be able to use all the effects of the z5500 or even the z906. it has stereo x2 and even dolby prologic 2 movie, music which used all the 5 speakers for listening to music or watching a movie.

Any idea how i can use these speakers and still obtain true 5,1 surround sound. NOT VIRTUAL. thank you
There is a wide selection of hdmi to optical or usb c to optical converters on amazon. You'll have to evaluate their claims and hope that whatever software is involved does what you want.

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Would it actually work with my laptop. As ive stated, i only have a single 3.5mm jack, usb port and hdmi port. And would it give me true 5.1. I dont need it to decode but acutally act as a converter really because the logitech control pod astually decodes dolby but i cant directly connect to it as i dont have the ports

Would it actually work with my laptop. As ive stated, i only have a single 3.5mm jack, usb port and hdmi port. And would it give me true 5.1. I dont need it to decode but acutally act as a converter really because the logitech control pod astually decodes dolby but i cant directly connect to it as i dont have the ports
Well the product I linked claims to do this

Extract compressed digital Bitstream audio such as Dolby Digital, AC3 and DTS 5.1/7.1 embedded in HDMI feed and output through its optical audio output for further decoding by downstream device.

Latest posts