[SOLVED] Connecting a router to my NID box

Mar 1, 2021
So I have an AT&T NID box on the side of my house for aDSL internet.

Connected to the inside of the nic is a blue and white wire, that comes from a cat6 cable, which runs 250ft down to my barn, and the other end of this ethernet cable is again split and connected to a dsl type outlet/cable, which then connects to the dsl port on the router to give my barn WIFI.

I want to bring the router back to my house, and use the existing cat6 cable to run a WIFI extender down there (access point). This way my house has the strongest wifi and barn can have some too.

My question is, do I just buy a dsl cable, plug one end into the router at home and the other into the NID box, mimicking exactly
how my current connection with the ethernet is plugged in with the blue and white wire going into the same spot? Or since now i have a dsl cable instead of a cat6, i have to wire it differently?

I'm also assuming I have to plug into the "DSL" labeled port on my router, and not one of the many ethernet ports in order to have a connection to the NID box.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
So it sounds like they used some cat6 wire to run what is basically a phone line to your barn and then connected the adsl modem/router combo there.

What you want to do is see if you can use that existing wire to run a wireless access point at the barn while bringing the modem/router combo inside your house.

So let's get a few things straight that will help. The 'dsl wire' is essentially phone wire--just a single pair carrying signal like phones do. Ethernet wire can be used for phone because there is a pair at the center of the ethernet rf45 just like a phone rj11.

The answer to your question is maybe. If the wire from your house is simply cat6 and not modified any other way, then you can re-terminate it as ethernet and you will...
So it sounds like they used some cat6 wire to run what is basically a phone line to your barn and then connected the adsl modem/router combo there.

What you want to do is see if you can use that existing wire to run a wireless access point at the barn while bringing the modem/router combo inside your house.

So let's get a few things straight that will help. The 'dsl wire' is essentially phone wire--just a single pair carrying signal like phones do. Ethernet wire can be used for phone because there is a pair at the center of the ethernet rf45 just like a phone rj11.

The answer to your question is maybe. If the wire from your house is simply cat6 and not modified any other way, then you can re-terminate it as ethernet and you will have an ethernet wire between the house and the barn.

But then you will need a wire from the NID into your house for your dsl modem/router to work. Now, dsl is finicky so if you don't get this right, you might ruin your dsl speeds and will need to call att to have them fix it. As long as they don't know you did anything to move stuff around, I don't think that will be a problem, but if they do find out they may charge you, which means you could have just paid them to do it all in the first place.

Reactions: trash08
Solution
Mar 1, 2021

The answer to your question is maybe. If the wire from your house is simply cat6 and not modified any other way, then you can re-terminate it as ethernet and you will have an ethernet wire between the house and the barn.

But then you will need a wire from the NID into your house for your dsl modem/router to work. Now, dsl is finicky so if you don't get this right, you might ruin your dsl speeds and will need to call att to have them fix it. As long as they don't know you did anything to move stuff around, I don't think that will be a problem, but if they do find out they may charge you, which means you could have just paid them to do it all in the first place.
Thanks, I did exactly this and everything worked out fine. I cut open a phone cable and used the blue and white wires to connect to the nid and the speeds seem fine. Much appreciated for helping me out!