[SOLVED] connecting cat5 and cat6 using rj45 wall sockets

tejeshjadhav

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
my recent thread ended up with no solution...
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mw305r-router-keeps-turning-off-in-wds-bridge-mode.3585959/
i've to connect two routers which are across the street... i failed to connect them using WDS Bridge and had to put ethernet...but could not manage to get rj45 jacks.

so I found:
2 small cat6 patch cables
2 rj45 wall sockets (1375055-9)
a long cat5 cable(2 pairs)

View: https://imgur.com/q9ivPUX

what i want to do is connect the cat5's both ends to the wall sockets but im unsure about which wire goes to which pin.

the cat5's wires are:
white green
green
white orange
orange

so the connection would be :
router 1 -> cat6 -> wall socket -> cat 5 -> wall socket -> cat 6 -> router 2

Solution
What's the total footage from end to end, including through the wall jacks and patch cables? If it's close to 300 feet you may have issues. Do you have a punch-down tool? (you'll need one)
The only difference between CAT5 and CAT6 cables is that CAT6 has better shielding in the cable and connectors.
The labels on the inside of the keystone jacks vary from application to application. You can follow either A or B or make up your own layout. Just make sure you punch down the exact same color pattern on both keystone jacks.
What's the total footage from end to end, including through the wall jacks and patch cables? If it's close to 300 feet you may have issues. Do you have a punch-down tool? (you'll need one)
The only difference between CAT5 and CAT6 cables is that CAT6 has better shielding in the cable and connectors.
The labels on the inside of the keystone jacks vary from application to application. You can follow either A or B or make up your own layout. Just make sure you punch down the exact same color pattern on both keystone jacks.

Solution

tejeshjadhav

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016

thanks... everything's hooked up and working fine.... yes length of the cable is more than 300 feet..... n i don't know if the long cable i have is cat5 as it has only 2 pairs...

2 pair cable generally is used for telephone. Hard to say if it is cat3 which was used for telephone only or if it is cat 5. Because the cost difference is almost nothing now days they most times use cat5e actually. I guess it depends how old the cable is.

In any case it likely doesn't matter if you are over 100 meters (ie 300 ft) you are beyond the ability of ethernet ports to run.

What should work even though I forget the exact name of the box is a form of private DSL. These are sometimes called ethernet extenders but they are not something that is commonly used. Very few people have privately owned wires that exceed 100 meters.

I have not look at these device in quite a while but they generally will get you over 50mbps on 1 pair of wires. There might be some that use VDSL on 4pair. Not sure. These can actually go many miles of course the longer you go the lower the maximum data rate.